Prototype 1961 Super Soft Buddy Seat? [PHOTOS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype 1961 Super Soft Buddy Seat? [PHOTOS]

Yet another example of a Super Soft buddy seat that was pictured in an accessory catalog but could not actually be purchased? Photos below. I believe that the subject seat (as pictured on the cover of a 1961 accessory catalog) may have been a prototype or some kind of mock-up. If not, then maybe the 1961 advertising guys took some artistic liberties with the image? Please feel free to let me know if I am mistaken.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Below is another photo/angle of the subject seat. Black arrow points to top rectangular spot. Red arrows point to additional small, round spots. Green arrows point to large, round spots. You may be able to zoom on this photo and/or the first photo above to see more clearly.

Photo:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Comment

Below are additional supporting images.

Image 1 (Factory photo of 1961 model taken in or prior to March 1960?):

Image 2 (Factory material for 1961 model printed in or about July 1960?):

Image 3 (Factory material for 1961 model printed in or about July 1960?):

[END]
      Fletcher Clark Johnston
      AMCA #282

Comment

DSCN2662.JPG

What makes a seat "a super soft" seat?

Comment

DSCN2657.JPG

Missing the skirt.

Comment

DSCN3188.jpg

Stock seat off my 60 FLH.

Comment

Originally posted by TRADEMARK View Post
              What makes a seat "a super soft" seat?
              Apologies for delayed response. I may not be getting the email alerts.

The Super Soft Buddy Seat (aka Super Deluxe Buddy Seat, among other names) (“SSB Seat”) has a number of distinguishing features, including 4” of foam rubber padding. For comparison, the standard Deluxe Buddy Seat (aka Big Twin Buddy Seat, among other names) has 2” of foam rubber padding.

Over the years, the SSB Seat has been offered with different features, including different materials, colors, covers, piping, skirts, and shells. There is some disagreement as to what features the SSB Seat had for various model years.

The shell used for the 1960MY through the 1962MY: (a) typically has some version of a yellow ink patent/trademark stamp (with “HARLEY DAVIDSON” on the first line and “BUDDY SEAT” on the second line followed by patent/trademark information) on the bottom of the shell on or near the mounting bracket; (b) typically has no date code stamp; (c) sometimes has a letter (engraved or etched or stamped?) on the bottom of the shell near the mounting bracket; and (d) sometimes was painted white, possibly for only the 1961MY.

From 1960 Accessory Catalog:

From 1961 Accessory Catalog:

From 1962 Accessory Catalog:

[END]
              Fletcher Clark Johnston
              AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by TRADEMARK View Post
                Stock seat off my 60 FLH.
                I don’t know which seat you are referring to, but you have some cool seats. Thank you for sharing. Harder and harder to find these styles. And your seats appear to be in much better condition than most.

I noticed the photo below in another forum and was admiring the seats. Do you happen to have any additional photos of the seats (e.g., bottoms, piping, etc.) that you can share? I can PM you my email address just in case you have any photos and email is more convenient for you.

Photo:

[END]
                Fletcher Clark Johnston
                AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
                X