1953 Neck Casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Neck Casting

I received a replacement neck casting for my 1953 FLE frame. It's very well cast and machined and has the correct hallmark numbers and markings. However, it has a 9/16" (+/-) hole machined into the front of the casting in the straight face, just above the neck cup radius. I think I remember seeing this hole in other necks, but seem to remember them in later frames. Is this hole correct for 1953?
    Thanks..
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

That hole is left from machining the neck for the neck lock, and is used to install the neck lock spring and plunger. It is sealed of with a welch plug.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      That hole is left from machining the neck for the neck lock, and is used to install the neck lock spring and plunger. It is sealed of with a welch plug.
      Robbie,
      Is it a tapped-in welch plug like a cylinder block freeze-out plug?
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Yes Bill, but a disc type not a cup type, just slightly domed until set.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie - it's been a few decades since I've installed a welch plug... I'll try my local Automotive store; I would think they're probably standard-sized.
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

Good luck. My local auto store had never heard the term "welch plug".

Comment

Good luck. My local auto store had never heard the term "welch plug".
              You need a new store, those guys don't know anything.

Comment

I got one from Old Dude.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
                  I got one from Old Dude.
                  Dave
                  Dave - is there a Harley Part Number? I'll email Bart and ask, but its easier with a P/N.
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill, I don't think there is a part number for them. I was at the Denton meet and I saw them in a small zip lock bag on his table. He knew what they were so I believe if you just ask him for them he will know what to send. He didn't make the Florida meet. Tore his Achilles tendon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
                      I received a replacement neck casting for my 1953 FLE frame. It's very well cast and machined and has the correct hallmark numbers and markings.
                      Where did the neck come from?
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,
                        The neck came from Hill Billy Vintage Classics in West Virginia. I also bought rear axle carrier plates and sidecar loops. I didn't have to install the carrier plates so I'll probably sell them at Oley, but the neck and sidecar castings worked out quite well. VERY nice castings with hallmark numbers, although they're very faint. The machine work is very good. I'd recommend this Vender - nice guy too.
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
                        X