Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Panhead - gearcase assembly - breather valve and gear

Hi Guys

When I took out the breather valve (25300-36) some weeks ago, my photos don't show a thrust washer behind it, or on it. However, in the parts manual there is one behind it (25313-50). I bought one, just to check, and it is too small to seat anywhere and will just get dropped into the oilways. On inspection of the service manual, it appears that at some time, thrust washers were used between the breather valve and the case, and you can buy them in different thicknesses, however, the 48 case I have, has no support hole for a washer and simply has a 'boss', that would butt up against the breather valve.

Am I missing something, or is the setup with no washer correct, as it appears to be?

Thanks for your support

Greg

IMG_3257.jpgIMG_3258.jpgIMG_3259.jpgIMG_3260.jpgIMG_3261.jpg
    Last edited by harleygreg; 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM.

Greg!

Your early gear has the 'shim' integral upon the out-board cam-cover end, as shown in your third attachment.

~1950 and later gears were machined down to a tit to accept a washer like your replacement.

You may only need to determine your gear's endplay to see if any remedy is necessary at all...

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-24-2020, 04:07 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Tom, I just figured it out, I just need to check the end play as the service manual states

Thanks

Greg

Comment

Working...
      X