Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

48 Panhead - no governor rotor 26300-41 in oil pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Panhead - no governor rotor 26300-41 in oil pump?

Hi Guys

The bike has been running well, but on stripping the oil pump, it appears the above part is missing. It is not available from my two parts suppliers. I'm not clear what this does - is it necessary?

Thanks

Greg

Depending on your serial number the factory eliminated the rotor during the '48 model year and issued directions to dealers on how to eliminate it. It is all covered in the Shop Dopes as well as some service manuals. It was done to help low RPM/start-up oiling to keep the new for '48 hydraulic pushrods pumped up.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Greg; Here are some pics of the early and late pump covers and cover plates. The later one was not machined for the rotor. This cover was used until they came out with the aluminum cover that eliminated the cast iron cover and plate. I hope this helps.
      CraigCIMG1650.JPGCIMG1644.JPGCIMG1649.JPGCIMG1651.JPG

Comment

Hi Craig and Robbie - most interesting

This is partially covered in my service manual and it appears I have the modified cover plate (see image). The manual also states that the check valve spring was also changed to a lighter spring. I had ordered a new spring as the current one installed had a free length of 1 3/4" instead of the parts book 26374-32 of 1 31/32". Do you think the installed one would be correct, or should I use the one on order and just assume it is a 'lighter' type?

Thanks, GregIMG_3219 cover plate.jpgIMG_3221 cover.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X