1949 Panhead Handlebar Repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Panhead Handlebar Repair?

I am in the process of going through my project, which has a 1949 Panhead front end. I pulled the handlebars in order to rebuild them and I noticed cracking on the bottom side where the cables and wiring come through. Is this normal for most of these 49 handlebars? I though about replacing them, but the few that I've seen have the same cracks. Do you guys thing this is something I could repair, leave alone, or replace? I appreciate any advice!IMG_4334.jpg

The reinforced center section was a new feature introduced to help prevent that. The riser top link was the first factory fix early in the '49 model year. Does your bike have one? If it isn't a restoration you might consider the beefed up bars as an option. Bars can be welded but tend to crack again.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes, I have the riser top link. This definitely isn't a restoration. Its a bobber I found in a barn. 1948 frame, 1949 front end and a 1947 engine. It doesn't have any reproduction parts on it and I'm trying to use original stuff to get it going. Would later Hydra Glide handlebars be beefed up?

Comment

Noticed a set of 3. original 1949 only Handlebars for sale.
        Pics/contact on Instagram--(barnshield) Call/text/dm 336.324.0083 Didn't have a sold, so they might be available? $299.00 all 3 shipped. This posting was on Nov/5/2019.

*M.A.D.*
        Last edited by JoJo357; 01-07-2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
          Noticed a set of 3. original 1949 only Handlebars for sale.
          Pics/contact on Instagram--(barnshield) Call/text/dm 336.324.0083 Didn't have a sold, so they might be available? $299.00 all 3 shipped. This posting was on Nov/5/2019.

*M.A.D.*
          Thank you! I will check it out

Comment

The reinforced bars came out in '50..
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

My 1950 EL, that I bought from the family of the original owner, has the non-reinforced bars. I believe these bars to be original to the bike. This bike was very original.
              Underwel; I would have them welded and run them as is. The weld would be covered by the top link.
              Craig

Comment

I think that is what my plan is. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by underwel View Post
                  I think that is what my plan is. Thanks everyone!
                  Don't know if You made up your mind underwel, but i spotted these.
                  fullsizeoutput_8ee.jpg >>Sorry, lousy pic from Instagram. 49-50 Handlebar. *Rich- (732) 856-7349 ---$350.00

*M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 02-12-2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X