Frame restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame restoration

Does anyone know where I could get some frame work done in San Diego, or closest to San Diego?

www.wascoframe.com

Lots of folks use the above with good results. They are in Washington (the state)

Comment

It all depends on what type of work you want done. Are we talking deraking, crash damage, repairing tabs? Some stuff can be handled easily by a good shop -- others specialized service.

Comment

I'm leaning toward a steering neck replacement because the speedometer mount portion was replaced at some point but it does not have the bung for the steering dampner. Also the neck does not have the hole drilled for the steering lock, not sure if it was bondo'd in or if just never got drilled after casting. I'm reviving a project I purchased 38 years ago (long story, but life got in the way) and most of what i have is either original or period correct for 52 pan. The frame is near perfect otherwise, just missing horn mounts. I'm not necessarily looking to do a 100 percent restoration I am aware that a frame with some obvious flaws could impact the value of an otherwise very correct rebuild. Also I know that Wasco is generally regarded as the premier frame experts, but I was hoping there was a good local frame guy. Based on some limited research it appears it would cost aprox 250 to ship via FEDEX to Tacoma Wa, so was hoping to avoid around 500 for shipping.

Comment

Wasco Frame is your absolute best bet. UPS delivers frames to their door.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, it's unfortunate but I guess if there was anyone in SOCAL who did vintage motorcycle frame restoration you would know. I've started communication with WASCO and looks like I will have to bite the bullet and figure out the shipping part of it.

Comment

Half the fun of vintage motorcycles, Lrcormier,..

Is fixing them yourself.

How broken is it?

Can you inspect it as per the Service Manual?
              (Then you're half way there!)

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-04-2020, 12:41 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

In So Cal if your frame needs straightening then George Hood is your guy. George has the massive frame table from Eddie Ryan's dealership.

If it is butchered and needs replacement parts Wasco is the place.
                Be sure to visit;

Comment

Due to health issues Chris George isn't doing a lot of hard work these days.
                  DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                    Due to health issues Chris George isn't doing a lot of hard work these days.
                    Frame work can be EASY, Dr. Sprocket!

If I could do it, anybody can.

Its low-tech.

....Cotten
                    Attached Files
                    AMCA #776

Comment

T. Cotten, I like to do most maintenance myself and don't trust the HD dealership to even do an oil change on my 14 FLHTK. However when it comes to machine work or welding I do not have the skill or tools for such a task, I'll disassemble and re-assemble but leave the machining and welding to the experts. I agree that replacing a frame neck is not rocket science but is something that needs to be properly aligned and don't want to build a bike on a questionable foundation. However I appreciate your input and knowledge.
                      Louis

Comment

I relied upon pro welders, too, Louis!

But they counted upon me to do the homework first;
                        Did you find the inspection instructions in the Service Manual?

You can make much better decisions when you know what you are dealing with,
                        and the instructions are necessary to put on a headstock as well.
                        (As per my previous attachment.)

Arm yourself with the knowledge available...
                        (And don't let anybody saw the headstock off!)

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Wasco has the jigs and fixtures necessary to hold things in position while they are assembled. Anyone who has ever cut a frame tube has noticed the frame spring out of shape when it is cut.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                            Wasco has the jigs and fixtures necessary to hold things in position while they are assembled. Anyone who has ever cut a frame tube has noticed the frame spring out of shape when it is cut.
                            That's exactly why I cautioned against sawing in my last post, Chris!

But "jigs" are anything handy.

Framework is fun.

....Cotten
                            PS: It should be common sense that a bent frame should be straightened cold before a headstock or any member is removed.
                            PPS: Fluorescent bulbs can tell a lot about a frame, if you stand back far enough.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-05-2020, 02:12 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Dear Mr.Cotton. When I said George isn't doing hard work it's because he isn't health wise able to. Oh, and by the way Mr. Cotton I've been a metal worker, fabricator, certified welder, and class A fitter for some 50 years. I used to own my own welding service and repair and fabricate new motorcycle frames. So yes it's easy if you know what your doing, have the skills and knowledge, and the proper equipment. I used to make my own fixtures. Early on I worked in a foundry and learned to construct patterns. All of this is becoming a lost art but some of the youngsters are becoming interested and it's making a limited comeback. It's not rocket science but it does need to be done properly.
                              DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                              X