53 Panhead Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Panhead Motor

I'm looking at a 53 Panhead motor, is there anything that I should be looking for? The motor looks to be a nice original motor, unmolested. What kind of money is this motor worth?

Thanks

Without seeing the motor and getting a good idea what it exactly is or isn't makes a big difference on value.
    The first hing you have to do is look at the VIN and see if it is correct or not.
    Next item is the belly numbers, do they match and correspond with the VIN number?
    Next up you have to look at the heads/cylinders and see what year they are and do they have the correct nipples for the intake or have they been changed. Have the motor mounts ever been broken? Is there a generator or carb with the motor and are they correct?
    Then what is the overall condition of the fins, are there any repairs on the cases visible.
    All that stuff and more makes a difference on the value. Then after you buy it you take it apart and the true story unfolds.
    That means the condition of the flywheels, the right hand case and if there are any cracks etc. Now look at the heads and are the valve seats good or even salvageable. Same thing with the cylinders, salvageable or sometimes sleeving is needed. It gets to be a crap shoot the further you dig in.
    In my opinion I rather buy an all apart basket motor so I can see what is what.
    Looks can be deceiving. Just like buying a used car! 46EL
    Last edited by 46EL; 11-02-2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Going to get a good look at the motor tomorrow, looks like the right heads and case numbers look good from the pictures. Thanks for the advise!

Comment

Working...
      X