Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 FL Clutch - too many plates?

Hi Guys

Whilst the engine now works, and the gears and clutch seemed to work 'in the shed', I decided to check the clutch by dismantling it. All the parts appear in very good condition, but there are too many steel plates (5), none of these have buffers (38025-41), too many friction plates (5) and no spring plate (37950-41).

I'm not sure of the function of the buffers or the spring plate, so is this a problem, or should it all work?

Thanks

GregIMG_2129.JPGIMG_2130.JPG

The standard clutch was changed in '68 from 3-1/2 plates to 5 plates and the spring plate went away. It is common to find the upgrade in an early bike. However there should only be 4 steel plates, not 5. The first friction disc runs directly on the clutch drum and the last one directly on the pressure plate with a steel disc between each friction disc. I use 5 plate clutches in all my old stuff because I like them. The buffers help slightly with noise but are not needed for function, it works fine without them and many aftermarket steel plates come without them.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

E88CBD49-0136-49AB-9AE4-324D6E229455.jpgC97116C1-F7BE-48FC-BF7E-5CE4C7E25717.jpgC97116C1-F7BE-48FC-BF7E-5CE4C7E25717.jpgHi, definitely 5 steel, 6 friction, do you think this could be a problem and should I revert to 5 steels?
      Thickness of current pack is 1 9/16”.
      Picture shows full nest in clutch which is big enough to support all 13 plates?
      Thanks
      Last edited by harleygreg; 10-06-2019, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Too many plates. I believe the less weight the better on pre '65 with no primary brg. support. Less weight equals less main drive bearing and bushing wear in my opinion.
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Greg, it also looks to me that the nuts are on backwards. The notch in the nut should align with the bump on the pressure plate to keep them in adjustment. The nuts will sit flat against the pressure plate when turned around.

Curly

Comment

Thanks Curly

Comment

I’m a little late to this thread . Just want to let you know if you run the clutch dry like me (belt) the steels w/out buffers will Ching-a-Ching-a-ling when disengaged. Not a problem of course but annoying after a while. Sounds like Santa is coming. There is after markets with the buffers out there.found mine at a swap meet in ct. peace at last ! Useless info, dry clutch ducati’s Sound the same

Comment

Working...
              X