Throttle slop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle slop

Does anybody know anyone who makes oversize rollers that fit into the throttle slot on hydra-glide bars? My throttle slot has some wear in it, and the roller that slides in it needs to be about .005" bigger. I'd make one myself, but it appears that the part is hardened. The part number is 56278-10, and the diameter appears to be .375".

The roller doesn't have to be hardened as you can just make another if it wears out. If you do want to harden it, use a product like this: https://www.mcmaster.com/metal-hardening-compounds - But, I think you can find less expensive compounds that work just as well.

You can also precision mill the slot if you have access to a milling machine and then make the corresponding size roller. My Merkel was so bad I had to mill a large slot, and insert a new piece, with the correct slot width, that I then silver soldered in.
    Last edited by exeric; 08-29-2019, 03:31 PM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I did that once with the bars on my flathead bobber, but it was a fairly long, involved process. Maybe I'll try turning up a soft roller. My first thought was to make one from a piece of O-1 drill rod, heating it up cherry red and dunking it in some used motor oil. That's still a possibility.

Comment

That will work too. A small piece of 0-1 would be easy to harden with a torch, and oil. Sloppy throttle action can be aggravating so it's worth it to make it better. Obviously, you know what you're doing; and as my old boss used to say. . . "Proceed".
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Found a stray piece of 4140.....Harder than cold-rolled, so I whipped up a .008" diameter larger roller. Works appreciably better.

Comment

Working...
          X