48 crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 crankcase

Gentlemen, I need your expertise. Just pulled my bastardized 48 motor apart. It had knuckle tops. I am putting it back to stock, and have a set of 61 barrels for it. Problem I am having, is gear side case does not have the oil feed holes, nor does it have the oil return hole. The grooves are cut into the left side crank, and yes, the belly numbers match. I thought that maybe the feed and return were welded over and ground, but cant find a trace they were ever there? Also, when I got my gasket kit from James, I got 2 sets of cylinder base gasket, one with feed and return, and a set without. No I'm really f*#@*ed. Any suggestions? Worse case I will drill out the holes and call it a day. Thanks, Tom

Your engine may have a Knuckle right case mated to a Pan left. Not unheard of on oddball hybrid engines. Knuckle cams, tappet guides, and oil return are different than Pan so it is the easiest way to make it all work. Are there drain holes in the case where the tappet blocks go?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Tappet blocks have oil holes, yes. I was wondering that. But why go to the trouble of matching belly numbers? They look exactly the same?

Comment

The case halves will have a casting number inside: the pan left is "112-48", the knuck right is "112-404".
        A knuck right will have an oil transfer hole at the top of the cam cover gasket surface, a pan is blank.
        The Linkert Book

Comment

The casting number inside is 112-48, it does have an oil transfer hole, as well as the oil feeds for the tappet blocks. I will take pics so you can see why I'm scratching my head.

Comment

Working...
          X