No announcement yet.

'65 Triple Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most broken frames never had a hack attached to them.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie,
      Thanks for the information.
      My frame looking pretty solid but I am sure many have said that before. Time to make a trip to Home Depot to get some painter remover. Will probably do the places that are suppose to have some markings and casting numbers first. The frame was black powder coated so I am sure a lot of details are covered up. Besides that is the wrong paint any where. From my understanding they used a black chromium paint of some sort. One article I rad said they may not have used a primer, just painted it black.

Chip

Comment

Thanks Eric, I figured it was paint, just wondering.

I will take some pictures and send then to you. I am trying to get some things straight here. I want to make the Davenport show in Iowa.

The triple tree I have is incorrect so I will be needing one for a swing arm. I saw one for the rigid frame and it is in great shape, but that is not the right one for the swingarm. Just my luck.

Trying to gt this fame right before I tackle the engine and transmission. It seems the tripe is very important down the line. There a "finishing parts", "tin", what ever, if you will, that need to be screwed to it. I would hate to put the wrong one in and when it comes to putting the other parts on and then finding, "hey where's the hole for the screw" to hold this thing on!

Comment

Dave,
          Any iea when it might be published? Or maybe I should say what year.

Chip

Comment

Chip, keep in mint that there are several variations of "swing arm" triple trees. The first still used the old style two piece risers. From '60 up they are used with the one piece riser and the nacelle. The differences are in the location for the terminal boards, horn mount, notches for tank styles, and padlock tabs. So not just any one will work, although most will if you are not going full on purist for your year.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              The swingarm frame bottom tree has an oval shape (the boss you are asking about) where the stem is welded in offset, the rigid one has a circular boss with the stem centered. The "boss" was changed to allow for the height difference in the new swingarm frame and allow the same trail as was used on the rigid to help keep the handling similar. And there are far more than two versions of trees.
              Adjustable trees have two piece lowers that can be set in a retracted or extended position for use with sidecars only. The tops of the legs have a pivot rather than a bolted through the tree cap.

For the theoretical "100 point" bike everything has to be correct as the bike was originally sold, so yes, the trees make a difference.
              Robbie,
              Do you think these are for a '65 Pan?

65TT-1.jpg65TT-2.jpg65TT-3.jpg65TT-4.jpg65TT-6.jpg

Comment

65TT-6.jpg65TT-7.jpg65TT-8.jpg65TT-9.jpg

Comment

65TT-10.jpg

Or could this be lower 49 to 57??

I guess I am learning now?

Thanks,
                  Chip

Comment

Hard to read the forging number under the top tree but it may be 56120-60? Can you confirm please. It may be a 60–64 top tree. It isn’t 65 because it hasn’t got a 5/16” threaded hole in the vicinity of the blue square in your photo below.

The 5/16” hole was for a horn bracket and I think the hole was there for 65–69 even though the horn was shifted from the top tree about later-68?

I’m not sure about the lower tree. In the red rectangle do I see some stamped characters? Perhaps a letter followed by three or four numbers? If so can you tell us the letter.
                    Eric

Comment

If it helps, here is a view of an original '65
                      IMG_8450.jpg

Comment

Thanks 55tmm! Can you tell me what the casting numbers are for your upper and lower trees please?

Comment

Zedder, I'll look and get back to you.

Comment

Lower Tree
                            IMG_7772.jpg
                            Upper Tree
                            IMG_7774.jpg

Comment

Thanks 55tmm!

Comment

The '65 lower tree used with 5 gallon tanks would not have the notches in the stops....mine are welded up.

Comment

Working...
                                X