VIN and belly numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN and belly numbers

Started a thread on the caimag forum the other day, and wanted to post pics of the discussion. I'm guessing everyone who chimed in also looks in on this forum, and I had luck posting photos here, so I'm posting them. Attn., Chris Haynes.

Looks good.

Originally posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
    Started a thread on the caimag forum the other day, and wanted to post pics of the discussion. I'm guessing everyone who chimed in also looks in on this forum, and I had luck posting photos here, so I'm posting them. Attn., Chris Haynes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]24565[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24566[/ATTACH]

Comment

Jerry....I'm posting more pics here for a guy on the caimag site. I can post photos on this site, but not on caimag,'cause I'm too dumb to understand the doings of Photobucket!....Cheers.....Omar

Comment

Thanks for the extra photos. I’ll also post this on CAI. I can’t see anything wrong with the 5 and for comparison here’s another example. BTW, in the past I too used Photobucket but now I use Imgur (imgur.com).

Notice the 2 is seriffed.
        Notice the lower horizontal stroke of the F is almost as long as the upper stroke and this is normal for later-52. (For early-52 thru about mid-52 the lower stroke is shorter than this.)
        Notice the top serif of the 1 has a slight curve. As expected, the serif across the base is fairly wide/long.

The 7s on top of the cases both look sans serif which is what I’d expect for 52. On Pan cases at least two types were used: seriffed; and sans serif. The seriffed 7 is the only style I’ve seen so far on 48 Pans. I’ve seen both types for 1949 and also for 1950 but at some point during the 1950 model year the sans serif 7 seems to have taken over completely. (A seriffed 7 was used for 1941–47 F/FL Knuckles.)

According to Shop Dope 330 the tappet screen started with SN about 52FL3529. But I’m not surprised to see the screen on cases with matching BNs 152-1635, given the range of differences I mentioned earlier between 52 SNs and 52 BNs.

Re the feed oil holes, you’re right about them being added with the intro of new hydraulic lifter assemblies (1953).
        Eric

Comment

All great info....Glad to get and receive.....Thanks....

Comment

Working...
          X