Original leather saddlebags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original leather saddlebags

Who does a great job of fixing original saddlebags, maybe you had some fixed your thoughts would be helpful. Thanks oldblu.

Originally posted by oldblu View Post
    ...your thoughts would be helpful. Thanks oldblu.
    Oldblu!

Avoid neat'sfoot oil.

Wished I did.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-02-2019, 04:06 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Who does a great job of fixing original saddlebags, maybe you had some fixed your thoughts would be helpful. Thanks oldblu.
      Michael is your man @ Worsham Castle.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...9034361682907/
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

You can use Lexol cleaner and leather conditioner products on them. For repairs Michael Parquette at Worsham Castle. Do some searches on here lots of information on care with Lexol and Worsham Castle.
        Jim D

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          Oldblu!

Avoid neat'sfoot oil.

Wished I did.

....Cotten
          Avoid "Neat's Foot Oil Compound. That contains a nasty additive that does bad things to some leathers. But Pure Neat's Foot Oil is all I've used for twenty years, and my bags and seats are like new. Pure neat's foot oil is really mis-named, it's not an oil, technically, and leather loves it. The bad reputation for all "neats foot oil" that some advice-spewers cling to comes from them confusing Pure Neats Foot Oil for bastardized Neats Foot Oil Compound, which can be nasty to leather over time.
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
            Avoid "Neat's Foot Oil Compound. That contains a nasty additive that does bad things to some leathers. But Pure Neat's Foot Oil is all I've used for twenty years, and my bags and seats are like new. Pure neat's foot oil is really mis-named, it's not an oil, technically, and leather loves it. The bad reputation for all "neats foot oil" that some advice-spewers cling to comes from them confusing Pure Neats Foot Oil for bastardized Neats Foot Oil Compound, which can be nasty to leather over time.
            Try your "pure" neat'sfoot on some "pure" horsehide, Gerry!

I dare you.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              Oldblu!

Avoid neat'sfoot oil.

Wished I did.

....Cotten
              Thanks for the tip!!!! oldblu

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                Michael is your man @ Worsham Castle.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...9034361682907/
                Thanks Eric

Comment

Originally posted by jim d View Post
                  You can use Lexol cleaner and leather conditioner products on them. For repairs Michael Parquette at Worsham Castle. Do some searches on here lots of information on care with Lexol and Worsham Castle.
                  Thanks Jim will contact!!! oldblu

Comment

I use pure neatsfoot oil on horse butts all the time. Yes, that is all they sell leather workers are the butts. The jacket market has contracts for all horse hides but the butts.
                    Neat is the old English name for cow. They cut the leg off 16" above the hoof and boil it, they then draw off the tallows (oil and or fat). There you have it, cow lard. Pure neats oil solidifies in the mid 50s Fahrenheit.

Cleaning the bags with fiebings saddle soap bar or paste will lift out the dirt and great the leather. It comes in neutral, Brown and black.
                    Last edited by ryan; 04-02-2019, 09:36 PM.

Comment

What is wrong with your bags? I have all the spots, spoons, buckles and rivets. I can also repair them. I have about 40 hides that were tanned in the early thirties. Still great leather with great patina. I also have brand new leather, strap, harness, brital, English and old English with the tallows.

Comment

The tops of these bags turned to rock overnight, Folks!

The bottoms stayed pliable.

An old farmer told me it was because they were horsehide.

So beware.

....Cotten
                        PS: We are talking vintage veggie-tanned hides, not modern chrome tan or whatever.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-03-2019, 09:01 AM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten,
                          There is not much that can be done for "dead" leather horse or not, no matter what you use. Dead is a term used in leather working meaning dried out, rotten and no good. Any oil on dead leather will make it hard as a rock and make it crack. It is a hydraulic effect with the fibers that had no moisture at all in them.

Comment

Working...
                          X