Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solution for removing broken speedo cable end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution for removing broken speedo cable end?

I have a broken speedo cable approximately 1/2- 3/4 " long broken off in the speedometer drive unit on my 1948 FL. Has anyone had luck removing the broken piece? The inner dimension is square to mate with the square cable end, and I suppose the cable is spring steel. I have tried drilling with a very small bit using a Dremel tool, no luck yet. Is there a way to disassemble the drive unit, looks like the gear might be welded or peened to hold it on the shaft??? I had to walk away yesterday because I was getting impatient and rough handed.

Thanks Curly

I noticed you're getting about as much action on your question as I did. I've never had to do what you are doing but I was wondering if it's stuck because it's rusted in or if it twisted and is bound up because of that. If it's rusted in there is a really good product called Free All that is the best I've found for loosening rusted parts. If that's not going to help, I have removed peened-on gears like that by grinding off the edge of the peened area until the outline of the gear hole is exposed. Don't grind off the shaft flat if you can avoid that. You should be able to remove the gear then, and once you get it out of the housing you should be able to drill a small angled hole up toward the end of the broken cable and push it out with a small punch. When you get it out and reassemble the shaft, housing and gear you can braze the gear back on where it was peened. I had to do that to some handles on a 100-year-old stove and it worked very well. One thing to remember is, it's already broke. You won't be worse off for trying. I'm an Eastern parts dealer and that drive unit is available for about $45 new. Jerry

Comment

Kurly,
      I have had to do this on a triumph speedo drive a long time ago.
      You are dealing with a hardened speedo drive gear and a spring steel speedo cable that are corroded together.
      You will be unlikely to be able to drill the cable out.
      First thing is to remove the drive gear from the housing, with the cable end.
      Put the gear in your vice, this will act as a heat sink.
      Then heat the broken cable, inside the gear drive, up to a red color. This will remove the temper from the cable.
      When it is red hot, start picking it out with something like a seal pick.
      If you are lucky, you could blow out the cable and with air.
      It is a pain, but it can be done.
      Cheers
      Mick

Comment

Working...
      X