1949 FL Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 FL Fork

Is it known when, in the 1949 Model year the Fork Sliders changed from black painted to polished?
    Searched around a bit but could find any information. I have a high number VIN 49 in the shop and it has the polished sliders fitted but is apparently an original low mile (32000K) machine.
    Thanks

According to Palmers,fork sliders were all black in '49.32K miles means nothing towards what is original

Comment

Lots of 49's had the legs polished over the years per owner desire.
      49 legs are sand cast, examine leg for sand cast marks in hidden areas.

Comment

Do the legs have the original casting code numbers on them? They could be later legs swapped by the dealer or owner when polished type came out. They were a new feature for '50 and there is no proof of a late '49 year transition.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

'49 also had casting numbers...hidden under the cowbells

Comment

'49 also had casting numbers...hidden under the cowbells
            Those are the ones I was asking about, he says he has a '49. But if they aren't there they are '50 or later legs. And some are not under the cowbells but on the inside of the leg itself.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I need a set myself, Folks!

....Cotten
              Attached Files
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The bike in question is a very late production 49. Less than 200 units prior to the 13XXX number last 49 quoted in Palmer's.
                It's got the cast numbers on the sliders but I believe that carried on at least into 1950 though by then they were polished. Very high up though and you can't see them when assembled.
                I just assumed it was a running production change when the polished sliders came into use. They ran out of black painted at some point.
                Interestinly it has the sand cast backing plate on it so I think that rules out a later dealer change out.
                Sorry Tom, I can't help you on your need.

Comment

Working...
                X