1949 frontend needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 frontend needed

Is there anybody out there that has complete frontend assembly or parts of a 49 fork, assembly for sale. I would consider any early hydroglide front. Thanks!

My Panhead knowledge is not great, but isn't the 1949 hydraulic fork one-year-only? And didn't some sidecar or export '49s have the 1948 rigid front end?

Comment

Yep! It sure is

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
      My Panhead knowledge is not great, but isn't the 1949 hydraulic fork one-year-only? And didn't some sidecar or export '49s have the 1948 rigid front end?

Comment

Yes, I think you are correct about sidebars, you had to have a springer for this application. Unsure a bout the export market. I believe the 49 hydro was a one year only because the lower legs had numbers embossed in them.

Comment

The 49 lower tree style was only used a few years. Any Hydra Glide fork would work for you, if you're not trying a restoration.
          VPH-D

Comment

Thank you very much, I didn't know this. I hope to restore as correct if I can, might be a needle in a haystack

Comment

In 1949 if you wanted a side car? You got the 48 package. Springer front end.
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I think there’s one on eBay, it’s not correct but would be functional

Auction number 192745564788

Craig

Comment

So the question is...how original are you trying to make it. 49 bikes had some 1-off stuff. You could spend a lot of time (and money) trying to get it right...some stuff visible, some not so.

Tubes are sandcast - 1 year only. You peel off the black paint and you would see this...

or this...

Front brake backinbg plate is marked so...

If you are getting a runner up and going, 50-later tubes/backing plate assembly will work and most will not be the wiser cuz the part numbers are not visible once assembled.

Some other differences on the 49 as well. Bruce Palmers book (2nd ed) is the best reference out there today.
                  Last edited by panz4ever; 12-19-2018, 12:28 AM.

Comment

No stamping on the top of the tins

Comment

Working...
                    X