<unmolested 1965 panhead motor>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <unmolested 1965 panhead motor>

HiYa, Pan Head Aficionado's. Have an opportunity to pick up a complete-low mileage, original, numbers matching-1965 Pan Head motor. Any clues on ballpark figures?
    Thank You.

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM. Reason: additional info.

Several factors must be considered to estimate value.
    Original paint ?
    Color and condition of paint ?
    How many miles ?
    What numbers are matching ?
    Shiney and spotless or dull and rusty ?
    Complete ownership history ?
    Answer these questions and I will tell ya.

Comment

It's just an engine, I believe.

Comment

That is a tough one JoJo. Is it titled? How "complete" is complete? Carb, generator, etc? Do you have access to the rest of the '65 stuff? (without it this could be a pig in a poke!). In my opinion (and just mine before folks get their panties in a wad.) it is no more valuable than any other Panhead engine in similar condition. Building a '65 from a bare engine would likely cost far more than buying a complete one. I say no more than 5K with title in "complete" and usable condition. A builder engine drops quickly...
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

That's a perfect answer...

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
            It's just an engine, I believe.
            Yes jwl, just the motor-like the post states.
            *M.A.D.*

Comment

Sorry for late response, still digging-out after Wauseon.
              The Motor was Marvel Mystery oiled, and stored inside a heated facility. Been there since the early 1970's. So, it's in pretty decent shape cosmetically. No title--just clean Michigan bill of sales, matching belly, original generator, carb & Air cleaner cover. Has a Hunt Mag, but it is optional. I've known the owner for many moons, so there's no B.S. involved!
              *M.A.D.*

Comment

Which leads to the question, Why was a relatively new engine removed and put into storage? I would run the numbers before I did anything.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                  Sorry for late response, still digging-out after Wauseon.
                  The Motor was Marvel Mystery oiled, and stored inside a heated facility. Been there since the early 1970's. So, it's in pretty decent shape cosmetically. No title--just clean Michigan bill of sales, matching belly, original generator, carb & Air cleaner cover. Has a Hunt Mag, but it is optional. I've known the owner for many moons, so there's no B.S. involved!
                  *M.A.D.*
                  A Model 65 generator? Not a 65A?

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
                    A Model 65 generator? Not a 65A?
                    The brush plate was rotated to put the brush positive up, so it's a 65 generator upsrod. H-D made both 65 & 65A in 1965. What is the point of your statement?
                    *M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      Which leads to the question, Why was a relatively new engine removed and put into storage? I would run the numbers before I did anything.
                      Thanks for the heads up Chris, but like i've mentioned, the seller & I go way back. Here's the skinny i've just received. In 1965-Slick bought new(H-D Robinson's Detroit), stolen, motor only recovered, kept title, title misplaced, current seller purchased in the 1970's. Title probably can be re-issued. And...he want's 2K complete, minus Hunt Mag. $2250.00 with Hunt. In Michigan, owner even after insurance pay-out, has 1st dibs to buy back his stolen merchandise, for pennies on the dollar. I will doll & go through the motor, then probably sell. I could have turned this into a Mini-series---hahaha. Thanks for the input, so what's the Pan worth?
                      *M.A.D.*

Comment

*M.A.D.*!

If possible, I'd appreciate a pic of the bottom of the carb bowl, clear enough to read the stamp.

Thanks!

....Cotten
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-27-2018, 03:12 PM.
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                          The brush plate was rotated to put the brush positive up, so it's a 65 generator upsrod. H-D made both 65 & 65A in 1965. What is the point of your statement?
                          *M.A.D.*
                          Just asking if the motor has the correct generator....many don't, lost over the years, it would be stamped Model 65! To my knowledge the 65 A started in 1966. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            *M.A.D.*!

If possible, I'd appreciate a pic of the bottom of the carb bowl, clear enough to read the stamp.

Thanks!

....Cotten
                            Will do Cotten, i'm looking & more than likely buying the Pan sometime this upcoming week.
                            *M.A.D.*

Comment

Before you bargain, *M.A.D*,

Please be aware that late '64 and '65 Linkert bowls were machine-faced on the bottom, with a small letter or number stamp.

Two visible traits that would preclude a carb body from being 'original' '65 would be a serifed "B", or a detente hump on the casting by the LS knob.
                              Nearly everything produced after '56 should have no serifs on the "B", and no hump.

Not visible on the last productions is that LS needle "well" is choked at about 1 3/4" below the spring collar seat, whereas earlier identical productions were choked at about 2 1/2" below the seat.

...Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                              X