Modern Tires on 65 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Tires on 65 FLH

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.

I live in an area that has a ton of grooved pavement, and the coker "classic tread pattern" tires yield a violent front end shake on that pavement (they're fine on at similar speeds on smooth pavement). All the grooved pavement is in 45-55 mph speed limit areas, and is impossible to avoid if you want to get out of town on the highway.

I've got a set of Shinko 777s that have a modern tread pattern, and I plan to try them on the 65. Question is, the HD manual calls for 26 PSI rear and 20 front, whereas that modern tire on a modern FLH or FLST would be run at 36-40 rear and 32-36 front.

Do I run them at modern pressures, or at the 26/20, which sounds to me like they would be woefully underinflated? Anybody had experience with this? I mostly run the bike around town and for short (10-50 mile) highway runs at 50-60 m.p.h.

Thanks!
    Ride it like you can fix it!

I run my Dunlop 402 at 35 rear and 30 front

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was thinking "compromise" pressures would be a good starting point. Hate to give up the vintage look, but I'd rather be able to ride the damned thing!

Comment

Rigid bikes need lower pressures more than shock bikes 35/30 sounds like good numbers to me

Comment

Run the recommended pressures for the new tires...
          VPH-D

Comment

+1 with VPHD. The modern tires are completely different construction than the old type and need pressure to maintain carcass integrity.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

As I figured, but better safe/ask than sorry. Thanks, guys!

Comment

Of course when swapping tires I had to pirate the axle nut torque values from a 1970+ manual. Always amuses me that the older the bike, the thinner and less specific the manual...

Comment

Always amuses me that the older the bike, the thinner and less specific the manual...
                  The general assumption years ago was that the average person had a basic working knowledge of mechanical devices and a certain level of common sense. That has diminished to a point these days that those attempting home repair need to be led by the hand through extremely basic procedures.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                    ... those attempting home repair need to be led by the hand through extremely basic procedures....
                    My leaky basement walls are proof of that!

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                    X