1950 HydraGlide slider tube position - confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 HydraGlide slider tube position - confusion

I have a 1950 glide non-adjustable front fork system.

My Panhead Service Manual48-57 Rigid has confusing information on page 46. (it might be me, but I was hoping someone could assist me).

The manual states that on my non-adjustable fork I need to adjust the slider tube to 5 1/16 inch extension above the lower fork bracket (top end) This is fine, BUT that does leave a gap between my Slider tube plug and my handlebar (upper) fork bracket.

I can do this but just want clarification this is the correct procedure for NON-adjustable front forks, It seems that I should really be seating the slider tube plug to the upper bracket once my neck bearing is set properly. With the way the "book" suggest even my top plug and oil seal may not tighten properly?

Is this a typo in the manual or am I really missing something?

here is a pic showing the gap that this measurement would produce.

20180604_230659[1].jpg

Bob
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

If you have post '60 head cups and bearings the overall length between the trees is longer. What head cups and bearings do you have? Do your tin covers line up?
    Oh, and in 50 years of assembling Hydra-glide forks, I have never measured a single one.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi Robbie, I have the pre 60 head cups and bearings I have the correct ones for my 1950 Hydra Glide.

My confusion is the manual States something totally different than what logic is telling me, my logic says to pull up the tube and plug tight to the upper bracket.

Ps. Yes tins line up.
      Last edited by NiteOwl; 06-05-2018, 10:35 AM.
      Bob Beatty
      AMCA 19209

Comment

They should be snug.The top bolts are hollow so don't over tighten...I have never measured one either!

Comment

Thank for the help, they pulled up fine and are ready to go.
          Bob Beatty
          AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
          X