No announcement yet.

1965 FLH Fuel Rod Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guy has been machining for many years and is very good. I bring him personal projects all the time.

I think I will dry fit everything and see how the alignment looks before worrying about making an alignment tool and tweaking the tank. The bike was painted a few years ago and I really do not want to remove the tanks.
    Craig (Delaware)
    Delaware Bay Chapter
    Perkiomen Chapter
    AMCA Member #1011

Comment

I don't know, Craig,..

If HD's tool can be used with the tank installed.

But mine can.

....Cotten
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Even with tanks off & with the oem style tool,I had to do what Cotton is doing to get tanks to work right.As Cotton said,to get the metal in the right place you have to go past straight to get it to spring back to alignment.

Comment

Ain't it amazing, Duffey!

Think how much HD spent on development and manufacture of that apparatus.

They must have had a pretty low opinion of dealership technicians.

....Cotten
          PS: I ain't "doing" it no mo', Folks,... unless you walk in my door and twist my arm.
          Look for my tools on ebay someday!
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-15-2018, 03:39 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

I could always get a 3/4" x 18 bolt, thread it into the tank, then take a cheater pipe and do some bending if needed.

I also think I will look for another rubber washer that went into the top tank fitting. This is the one where the cap screwed down onto the tank nipple.

Any suggestions?
            Craig (Delaware)
            Delaware Bay Chapter
            Perkiomen Chapter
            AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Howdy sir,

An o-ring sourced from one of those assorted size kits at Autozone acquired on the fly years ago when my rod would not stay pulled up while underway has served without fault since.
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
                I could always get a 3/4" x 18 bolt, thread it into the tank, then take a cheater pipe and do some bending if needed.

I also think I will look for another rubber washer that went into the top tank fitting. This is the one where the cap screwed down onto the tank nipple.

Any suggestions?
                Craig!

It would be an unusual bolt.

For many years I shelved the spring, washer, and cork, and used two neoprene roofing nail gaskets. Swelling from fuel only made them better.
                (But then Pa gave me some true Viton, and now I produce them with a conical PEEK compression spacer.)

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                  Craig!

It would be an unusual bolt.

For many years I shelved the spring, washer, and cork, and used two neoprene roofing nail gaskets. Swelling from fuel only made them better.
                  (But then Pa gave me some true Viton, and now I produce them with a conical PEEK compression spacer.)

....Cotten
                  I know that thread is not common at all. Maybe ask my machinist buddy to make one for me.

I guess I should have asked about that seal before I ordered the PEEK washers and could have killed two birds with one stone as they say.
                  Craig (Delaware)
                  Delaware Bay Chapter
                  Perkiomen Chapter
                  AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
                    I know that thread is not common at all. Maybe ask my machinist buddy to make one for me.

I guess I should have asked about that seal before I ordered the PEEK washers and could have killed two birds with one stone as they say.
                    Craig!

Just have him thread the end of a piece of 3/4" rod, and center-drill/ream it for 1/4" rod, and then you can see where its aimed.
                    (If he does that on a Bridgeport, he's peculiar at least.)

I'm a bad businessman.
                    Usually all these 'custom' seals just pay my Davenport gas tab.
                    People like to feel and smell what they are paying so damn much for...

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                      Craig!

Just have him thread the end of a piece of 3/4" rod, and center-drill/ream it for 1/4" rod, and then you can see where its aimed.
                      (If he does that on a Bridgeport, he's peculiar at least.)

I'm a bad businessman.
                      Usually all these 'custom' seals just pay my Davenport gas tab.
                      People like to feel and smell what they are paying so damn much for...

....Cotten
                      Cotten, My buddy is making me a 3/4" x 18 rod as we speak. He will then center drill for 1/4". Of course, all this on the company's dime.

I look into those roofing nail gaskets.
                      Craig (Delaware)
                      Delaware Bay Chapter
                      Perkiomen Chapter
                      AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Working...
                      X