4 speed year it was produced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed year it was produced?

Does any one no how to read the serial number on a four speed trans to know what year it was made? Thank u

Here's the way I understand it.

First character is a letter corresponding the month; A=January, B= February, etc. Second letter is the last year of the decade produced; 1= '41, '51, '61, or '71.

To get the decade right, there are some other things to look at. Here's Craig's summary of how to get the decade right: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...5&postcount=18

Mods, sorry if a link is not OK, but in this case it seems helpful and appropriate.

I'm sure I'm not totally right, and one of the old smart guys will be along to fix up my answer a little better. (paging Rubone!)

Comment

So, to start, is it kick only or kick and electric? Put up some pics.

Comment

Early gearboxes do not have "serial numbers". They have casting numbers, and from late '38 on have date codes. Early date codes are a letter and a number, from late '49 they are two numbers. There are anomalies though, like the 3-3 code used for many years in the '50s. In the '60s they began to have another number, often called an "anti theft" number on the front face near the plunger, and it also helps with dating. What numbers are you referring to? And as stated a picture would help immensely.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

transmission casting picture

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          Early gearboxes do not have "serial numbers". They have casting numbers, and from late '38 on have date codes. Early date codes are a letter and a number, from late '49 they are two numbers. There are anomalies though, like the 3-3 code used for many years in the '50s. In the '60s they began to have another number, often called an "anti theft" number on the front face near the plunger, and it also helps with dating. What numbers are you referring to? And as stated a picture would help immensely.
          I have sent a pic of numbers on case
          Attached Files

Comment

March, 1941. There was no date code in '31, and by '51 it would be 3-1.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie I am not sure about this. I would have to see if the case is clearanced for the downward shift arm to make my decision. Jerry

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              March, 1941. There was no date code in '31, and by '51 it would be 3-1.

Comment

Working on a '40 trans with '39 date code...it looks like they filed the humps off for '47 & later use

Comment

Cast the panhead cases with flattened bosses due to the shifter linkage off the drum starting in a different position? Not sure what year they started though. Have to check the book.

Comment

Robbie I am not sure about this. I would have to see if the case is clearanced for the downward shift arm to make my decision. Jerry
                    Jerry, I am. No C-1 cases with clearance for shifter arm.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                    X