Mousetrap Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mousetrap Identification

I have a few mousetraps in my collection and I would like to find out some information on identifying the correct years for them. The differences are as follows:
    There is a long and short vesion of the bracket that the clutch cable adjuster screws into.
    The long bracket models have a difference in the angle that the grease nipple was postitioned. 45 degree and straight machined.
    Has anyone got an unrestored bike or bonafide "as it left the factory" bike that they can look at to give the following information....
    Year of bike....
    Long or short arm.
    Straight machined or 45 degree machined grease nipple.

For clearer information the bracket is the peice at the top of the mousetrap where you adjust the slack out of your clutch cable

I have attached 2 pictures. One shows the long and short brackets and the other shows the angle of the grease nipples

I think the long bracket / 45 degree nipple model that I have, came off a 52 Pan but I would like to get a collative bank of information from the readership of this forum and perhaps the judges that judge these bikes at meetings
    Thanks in advance. Steve
    Attached Files

Heres the picture of the long and short cable arms.
    Steve
    Attached Files

Comment

The mousetrap on my 56 pan has the long arm & straight machined nipple.

Comment

Thanks D.N
        I have not been able to find any information`on this change in Palmers book. Every time I research something or find some incorrect info in his book I photo copy a sheet and stick it in the book. Needless to say my book is a good deal fatter than when I bought it. Credit where its due, Its still a great book.
        Is your bike original from the factory?
        Steve

Comment

I believe it's as original as you can find for being 48 years young. The bike sat in a barn from 1958 to 1992, have the pictures, & the original title from the guy who bought it in 56. It has everything as it was from the factory, with the exception of paint, tires, and some nuts & bolts.

Comment

65 pan

my original 65 pan has the short bracket an angled grease fitting

Comment

65 pan

ok i got it wrong ,my 65 has the long arm an angled grease fitting

Comment

Thanks
                Perhaps the wider 5 gallon, 1965 gas tanks prompted the 45 degree nipple. The original steel pipe fuel line might be further out because of the 5 gallon tanks which could make it pass closer to the mouse trap making it harder to get to the grease nipple. Maybe??
                Any original 64's left on the planet?
                Lets hear from you on the angle of your nipples
                ....errr...umm..... you know what I mean.
                Steve

Comment

After flthead posted his reply about his 65 having the longarm 45 degree nipple mousetrap, I went and had another look at the mousetraps again. There is another diference in the way that the clutch rod attaches to the bell crank. On the early models , the clutch rod conects to the bell crank with a bolt #36921-52 and flexloc nut. Looking at my 1958 to 1968 part manual,I noticed a circlip/ retainig ring is listed as the part to do this job starting 1965 to 1967.
                  It seems that the long arm 45 degree nipple, swaged clutch rod dowel model is for 1965 to 1967 only.
                  I have attached a picture of the 2 different long arm mousetraps with the different clutch arm attachments. The blue hilite pen is pointing out the swagged on dowel for 1965 and up.
                  So this still leaves the question .......what models are the short arm models off????
                  Steve
                  Attached Files

Comment

Any one out there with a bonafied "as it came out of the factory" 52 to 55 Pan who can advise, on the length of the arm at the top of the mousetrap. "see first picture at the start of this thread". There is a long and short arm model.
                    Steve

Comment

I have been looking through my part and workshop manuals looking for a good clear factory photo of the wishbone frame model bikes trying to see if the short arm mousetrap was fitted to these frames. I have found a reasonably good clear shot in the Palmer book on page 605. I used a magnifying glass to get a good close up look and although it is grainy it looks to be a short arm model with no gusset underneath.
                      Anyone wish to clarify this if you have a wishbone panhead bike 1952 to 1954. Must be a factory original bike to make the information useable.
                      Is there a HD factory archive site that anyone knows about that has pictures??
                      Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X