Fiberglass saddlebag lids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but I'm looking for the hardware that attaches the lids to the front of the bags. Any suggestions?
    Craig!

I had good luck with other bag hardware from https://www.billscustomcycles.com/

Good luck!

....Cotten
    PS: So far the only raw material I've scrounged for a riveter is apparently a magneto bar.

AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
      Craig!

I had good luck with other bag hardware from https://www.billscustomcycles.com/

Good luck!

....Cotten
      PS: So far the only raw material I've scrounged for a riveter is apparently a magneto bar.

Thanks Cotton! I've been meaning to contact Bill's Custom Cycles or maybe even taking a road trip.
      Craig (Delaware)
      Delaware Bay Chapter
      Perkiomen Chapter
      AMCA Member #1011

Comment

McMaster-Carr has a hand riveter that works pretty good but you have to fiddle with/modify dies. Installed all the hardware on a set of '65 bags (except the bottom ones) with it after a fresh paint job. Nothing has come loose so far after about 8 years. Mashed end of rivet is not rolled over perfectly like factory but it is tight and you can't see it. Probably could have done it if I spent more time on the die. The tool looks very similar to the Harley tool I have seen pics of.

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
          The original inside finish would be white and gray Zolatone auto trunk finish.
          Hi upsrod.
          You seem well informed on the differences and the manufacture style so I’m hoping you might also be able to shed some light on some other questions.
          I have a set of original lids that came off my 64 Pan. I have measured them, and they are not a uniform thickness. The rim of the lids is 1/6” thick down both sides but are 1/8” thick at the front and back edge. This would be to strengthen the hinge and catch areas. The top area of the lid is also 1/8’’ for top load strength but the sides are 1/16”, probably for weight reduction.
          I have never done any fiberglass work nor have I seen any lids stripped of paint so my questions are: Would the whole lids be manufactured with the chopper gun, or would the operator use a sheet layer of fiberglass on the pattern and then thicken it up with the gun.
          Also, would the guy just wave the chopper gun over the thicker areas a couple extra times to achieve the 1/8”.
          Both of my lids are very uniform in regards to the areas of thickness so it would seem to be intentional.

Regards Steve
          Steve Little
          Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
          X