53 Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Clutch

When assembling the clutch plates into the shell, should they be soaked in oil and installed wet, or should they be assembled dry? The routing of engine oil to the primary chain and then on to the final drive chain will not result in much oil getting in to the clutch.

The conical, Clutch Plate Springs snap into a groove near the base of the stud. When the large end is against the Bearing Plate, the effective length of the spring is very short; this is the orientation shown in the exploded view. Any suggestions?

Thanks

That is a dry clutch -- oil is for the chain only. Jerry

Originally posted by ssantelman View Post
    When assembling the clutch plates into the shell, should they be soaked in oil and installed wet, or should they be assembled dry? The routing of engine oil to the primary chain and then on to the final drive chain will not result in much oil getting in to the clutch.

The conical, Clutch Plate Springs snap into a groove near the base of the stud. When the large end is against the Bearing Plate, the effective length of the spring is very short; this is the orientation shown in the exploded view. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comment

Not sure what 'suggestions" you are looking for. Those springs are merely retainers and do not come into play in the operation of the clutch. They hold the bearing cage in place while allowing a bit of movement to prevent binding.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have found that if using original material type clutch, no oil on plates. If you are using the new Kevlar wiz-bang type, on MY bike I needed to soak them for a bit in ATF to have them not be too grabby.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I agree with the soak on some aftermarket plates that recomend it,but Kevlar is junk in my opinion.I do like the carbon fiber Barnett.Those need to soak in ATF.

Comment

Rubone - The springs are just retainers, that is the information I was lacking

My clutch plates are 20+ years old, never been used. I am not sure if they are NOS or aftermarket, but its probably safe to assume they are not Kevlar or carbon fiber. I will put them together dry.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
              I agree with the soak on some aftermarket plates that recomend it,but Kevlar is junk in my opinion.I do like the carbon fiber Barnett.Those need to soak in ATF.
              Guess that is what I meant. Thanks. Used the Barnett carbon fiber in my 58 and they work good after soaking in the ATF, not so much beforehand.
              Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 02-27-2018, 05:46 AM.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
              X