panhead low oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panhead low oil pressure

besides an oil pump problem what else can cause low oil pressure on a '49 panhead (less than 5 lbs. all warmed up). I have gone thru the oil pump and all seems OK.

My 49 Pan does the same thing and I have been riding it that way since I got it in 1972. A wise engine rebuilder in Santa Barbara where I was living at the time hipped me to the notion that pressure was not the intent as with modern engines, but volume of consistent flow was what the intent is. When my bike was a chop back in the 70's I had an oil pressure gauge screwed into the pump and on a hot Calif. day (running Valvo racing oil 60wt.) at an idle the needle would drop down to +- 5lbs. So long as you are not running a really worn out motor I would not worry.
    Last edited by Hack; 02-07-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

It is built around roller bearings and splash, there is little resistance to create pressure. Just ride it.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        It is built around roller bearings and splash, there is little resistance to create pressure. Just ride it.
        Thanks for the quick replies and the good advice. I guess I have just been too used to seeing substantial pressure in our modern engines

Comment

I found out about my Pan oil pressure from an old timer. When it's hot and I'm idling, I get around 5lbs or so. He said as long as you see flow in the oil tank at idle, don't worry about it and just ride.
          Craig (Delaware)
          Delaware Bay Chapter
          Perkiomen Chapter
          AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Yes If you have flow do not worry about the pressure. Every early Pan I have ever ridden will flicker the idiot light when hot and at an idle.

Originally posted by craig (DE) View Post
            I found out about my Pan oil pressure from an old timer. When it's hot and I'm idling, I get around 5lbs or so. He said as long as you see flow in the oil tank at idle, don't worry about it and just ride.

Comment

Howdy chaps,

So how bout when your roll’n along in rural Mississippi on 95 degree summer day a 100 miles from home and your trusty old Fatster - 77 FLH - starts flickering the light at 60 mph in the middle of nowhere. Why, just stop at the several old country stores enroute and amongst the curing venison hanging from the ceiling locate and grab successive bottles of STP... at the last stop siphon off most of the remaining oil on the ground and replace that with STP.

Got home to discover the duct tape that I’d wrapped around the cheap Ted’s sourced oil temp gauge - in - oil cap dip stick that had shrunk from heat was leaking and threatened to rattle out had dropped into the tank and snaked its way down the feed pipe to the pump effectively plugging it. No oil pressure. Removed the tape and STP, replaced with real oil and motored on. That was over 15 years ago so apparently none the worse for wear, as they say, thus 5 lbs would seem more than adequate.
              Cheerio,
              Peter
              1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                Howdy chaps,

So how bout when your roll’n along in rural Mississippi on 95 degree summer day a 100 miles from home and your trusty old Fatster - 77 FLH - starts flickering the light at 60 mph in the middle of nowhere. Why, just stop at the several old country stores enroute and amongst the curing venison hanging from the ceiling locate and grab successive bottles of STP... at the last stop siphon off most of the remaining oil on the ground and replace that with STP.

Got home to discover the duct tape that I’d wrapped around the cheap Ted’s sourced oil temp gauge - in - oil cap dip stick that had shrunk from heat was leaking and threatened to rattle out had dropped into the tank and snaked its way down the feed pipe to the pump effectively plugging it. No oil pressure. Removed the tape and STP, replaced with real oil and motored on. That was over 15 years ago so apparently none the worse for wear, as they say, thus 5 lbs would seem more than adequate.
                Try THAT with a Babbitt-journal lower end!
                Bill Pedalino
                Huntington, New York
                AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by bill pedalino View Post
                  try that with a babbitt-journal lower end!

lol! Nooo thanks!! Lol!
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I put 73 and later oil pump drive gears for more volume in the system and blueprint the rocker arms for more pressure.
                    Carl
                    http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Working...
                    X