1965 FLH Solo Seat Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 FLH Solo Seat Adjustment

I'm trying to adjust the seat height on my 1965 FLH for people who are vertically challenge. I have the H-D service manual and went by their instructions but the seat is still too high. I tried taking out one of the springs which helped but the seat would bottom out on big bumps. Any suggestions on adjustments I can make for a 5'7", 165lbs rider?
    Craig (Delaware)
    Delaware Bay Chapter
    Perkiomen Chapter
    AMCA Member #1011

Craig,
    I personally would keep all springs in place as an assembly. The MoCo made 2 different sets of seat post springs (180lb and 225lb sets). If you have the heavy duty springs installed, the saddle would sit higher with a 165lb rider. You could adjust the nut holding the lowest spring, compressing the spring set and/or pull the post down with the nut used to hold post in place on the bottom of the frame. Spring travel will be reduced. Keep in mind - too much bolt out the bottom of the frame and one day it will catch on something!
    To help from bottoming out, I place a Shovelhead valve outer spring around the seat post between frame and saddle. An alternate would be installing ½” or 1” lower shocks.
    William
    Attached Files
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

William,

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what springs I currently have my assembly. I tried to measure some of the springs but not quite coming up with regards to the reference in your attachment. I wondering if I try to get new springs and start all over?

In the meantime, I will try your suggestions other than getting lower shocks.

Thanks!
      Craig (Delaware)
      Delaware Bay Chapter
      Perkiomen Chapter
      AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Craig,
        YW. See p/n 51772-31 in the photo. Spring length details are noted for the standard set.
        William
        Attached Files
        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Thanks William!
          Craig (Delaware)
          Delaware Bay Chapter
          Perkiomen Chapter
          AMCA Member #1011

Comment

In my opinion, you are just chasing your tail if you are working with old used springs. Get a set of the Croft springs from Colony and start over. Adjust them according to the directions and go from there. I think you will get the seat where you want it. Now the height of the machine is another issue. That may need to be addressed by somehow lowering the whole bike. If you want a properly adjusted seat for a comfortable ride you probably should be not using the seat adjustment for compensating for your height (or in this case, lack of).

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
              In my opinion, you are just chasing your tail if you are working with old used springs. Get a set of the Croft springs from Colony and start over. Adjust them according to the directions and go from there. I think you will get the seat where you want it. Now the height of the machine is another issue. That may need to be addressed by somehow lowering the whole bike. If you want a properly adjusted seat for a comfortable ride you probably should be not using the seat adjustment for compensating for your height (or in this case, lack of).
              I will look into a new spring set form Colony. Thanks for the tip!
              Craig (Delaware)
              Delaware Bay Chapter
              Perkiomen Chapter
              AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Working...
              X