1965 FLH - My New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 FLH - My New Toy

Just scored this 65 FLH, might be original birch white paint. Has lots of good and some items that will need updating. Not looking to make this bike a winner's circle candidate, just a fairly correct rider. After extensive reading, I now understand this is one of the most difficult model years to get correct - with many one year only parts. It currently has a Cycle Electric regulator which at some point I will most likely replace with the correct 12 mechanical regulator. The Duo Glide shocks will go away but what I now seek is the proper jiffy stand/shift lever mount. Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between the 64 and earlier version and 65 version. I've searched for an answer but differences if any, are subtle. Before I go out an buy one of the many brackets that are out in the parts world, I'd like to get it right the first time20171216_143402.jpg20171216_143528.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!20171216_143318.jpg20171216_143330.jpg20171216_143156.jpg

-Marc

The difference in the shift mount is visually identifiable by the way the chrome cover attaches. The early mount has a sort of threaded peg that the cover attaches to. The later type has a single threaded hole where the flat chrome cover attaches.

You will need the model 65 generator, not the very common model 65A.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Dingy 123.jpg
      Dingy 139.jpg
      Is this of any help ?

Comment

Most excellent! That's more or less what I thought.

Thanks 55tmm.

Comment

Congrats on your new score. I also recently came across a 1965 FLH and finding items that are not period correct for that year on my bike. I am having a blast riding my new toy.
          Craig (Delaware)
          Delaware Bay Chapter
          Perkiomen Chapter
          AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Thanks Craig. This bike needs some tweaking but all the big pieces are in place. Ought to be fun. Looking forward to making it hum and getting it out on the road once the warm weather arrives.

Global "warming" is great for motorcycling!

Comment

Speaking of Global warming, I saw a guy riding his Harley today on my way into work. My car was reading 40° outside and this was at 6:00am EST.
              Craig (Delaware)
              Delaware Bay Chapter
              Perkiomen Chapter
              AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Working...
              X