Dry cell battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry cell battery

I have been running a 18 amp dry cell in my dual point/coil pan for years. Recently the battery died so I went to the local battery warehouse to get a battery. They only had 12 amp 6 volt batteries so I bought one to get me home. It ran fine so I never bothered replacing it with the proper 18 amp battery. Skip forward to my single point knuck. I temporarily put this set up in it to get away from the wet battery that had been boiling over. The bike wouldn't start with it. My questions are does a single coil require more amps or was this a fluke? Will the proper battery that comes with the dry cell battery setup probably start the knuckle and should I get the proper battery for the pan to achieve a hotter spark? Thanks

Otis, What type is the new 12A/6V battery: a sealed lead acid or a lithium-ion type battery? Are you running a 32E 3-brush gen. on both Knuck and Pan? As for boiling the battery and when running 3-brush gen, sounds like the adjustable 3rd brush is set too high.
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

DSC04723.JPG
      the best Gel-Battery you can use is from EaglePicherUSA. Has 6Volt 18Ah and nearly the same size as the original Acid Battery.
      But, you have to know, you cannot run any Gel- AGM- or Li-Ion Batterie with the original 3 brush 32E or Model52 Generator.
      The reason is, all these sealed maintenance free Batteries are limitied in their voltage charging level by 7.0 to max. 7.2 Volts.
      So you have to convert your 32E - as Harley did too - see the shop dope # 412 - and I always install an electronic Regulator
      unit into the DelcoRemy cut out Relay Chassis (I remove the coil). You will not see any change from outside, but you are
      maintenance free and your bulbs will have a longer lifetime ...
      George AMCA 2781

Comment

sorry, it is Harley shop dope book , Service Bulletin # 418 April 6 , 1960
        P1010559.jpg

Comment

Can you tell me what brand electronic regulator you use that fits in the cut off box and has been reliable?
          Thank you

Comment

IMG_7468.jpgCall retro cycle, here is what they have. Electronic regulator, use your original cover, rewire generator to 2 brush.
            Last edited by 55tmm; 01-15-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

That Regulator unit is developed and produced here in Germany. This modul is very robust, because the electronic is saved against dust
              and water. Available for 6 or 12 Volt and for the higher power of a Police generator too. My friend in St.Paul / Minnesota sells it for
              customers in America. Tell me your email address or phone number and my friend in US will go in Contact with you!

Comment

i am watching this thread ,i am trying to get a good battery 6v 18ah and have googled suppleir here in Oz with no luck , will need to run 2 in parralle to make it work ,and have a electronic reg coming also , Rob

Comment

Hi Rob, if you can get someone in the US to send you the 6v 18ah I would like to give it a try. You could order two and we could share the freight. You can get a 6v 12ah here which I have been running. So far so good. Let me know if you want the details. I have found one brand that seems to survive the vibration and the variable charging of the 3 brush genny.
                  VL Phill

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
                    Can you tell me what brand electronic regulator you use that fits in the cut off box and has been reliable?
                    Thank you
                    I believe the unit is made by Samwell, and sold in the USA by Retrocycle, as mentioned.

Comment

You are right Rooster. Here's a couple links to Samwell and V-Tronics Eng. The Samwell pdf notes V-Tronics on their page - not sure their business relationship.

samsup.nl/images/Downloads/regulator-instruction-manual.pdf

http://www.v-tronic.com/

Below is a link for the EaglePicher CF-6V18 VRLA battery mentioned above. This battery is an "absorbed glass mat" or AGM type battery; not a gel type. GEL batteries are a different animal.

https://www.eaglepicher.com/technolo...lead-acid-sla/

click "CF-6V18 CF-12V18" link for product datasheet.
                      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X