Anodizing Panhead Valve Covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anodizing Panhead Valve Covers

Anybody know of a good source for correct finishing of the valve covers? I'm told they are anodized, which gives them that look that is duller than polished or chromed, but still shiny.

Phoenix area is most convenient for me, since I visit each winter, but I can mail them anywhere.

Thanks in advance...
    Ride it like you can fix it!

I can tell you my experience with this just recently. Took a set of covers and removed all the dents, scratches, and sanded them smooth to what I thought was good. 600 grit. Took them to my plater in the Dayton, OH area. The covers came back more of a grey in color. After my depression wore off, I took another set of covers, same dent removing process but sanded finer and buffed as bright and smooth as I could. Went to the same plater with an original cover, the grey ones and now my polished covers. Told them what finish I needed, the orig look not the grey look. He took the time right then to go over the process and do them for me step by step. First, different from the first time, we did not etch them first, which is common on aluminum parts. Very important, turns them darker in color. Next, the normal time for anodizing is 15 min., we agreed to do it in 5 minutes intervals and check color as we went. When a part is anodized to the correct depth, about .0002 into the metal and about .0002 buildup the part is not conductive. After 5 minutes, color change but not right, still continuity, 5 more minutes same, 15 minutes total color was damn near perfect and no continuity, so part is protected against the elements. So, in a nut shell, polish the best you can, NO etch, and regular cycle time in tank. Any clear anodizing place should be able to help but if you want I can give you the name of who I used, they are just more commercial and in my opinion a local place you can walk into and discuss all of this might serve you better. Good luck.
    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Wow ... thanks for that very detailed reply, Bob. I guess Flitz and I are going to be spending some quality time together, and then I'll see if I can find a plater in the Phoenix area and hope that with a printed copy of your instructions, they can get it right. I have no idea how to describe the "correct" color.

Comment

Bob's reply is what makes this hobby so great, and why I wish this forum had more activity. There are very talented members in the AMCA, and a vast wealth of knowledge. None of us are getting younger so it is time to share the wealth.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks Eric, hopefully my learning curve with this subject will help here, as others' learning curves on different subjects have helped me with my projects. Good luck JSB55, I've related pretty much everything I did on the covers, but any more questions just ask. To add, I just want to stress as it was told to me by other's and the plater after my first go around, smoothness and polishing the best you can is the key, anodize only enhances your finish it doesn't 'create' a better finish.
          Last edited by BigLakeBob; 10-26-2017, 08:11 PM.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Seems that way with EVERYthing, Bob; it's all about the prep, whatever the finish is.

Comment

Cad, Parkerizing, Anodizing, polished Aluminum ... those old boys made it tough ... but what fun would it be if it was all just chrome and polished stainless?

So box #1 is blasted and ready to go to the cad guy, box #2 is blasted and ready for my inaugural attempt at Parkerizing, and now box #3 is gonna require a few hours with the buffer and a big bottle of Flitz ... tedious as hell when you're doing it, but the finished product is well worth it.

Comment

Specify "BRIGHT ANODIZING" to the plater.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

WOW! Woke up this morning with the light bulb over the mind thoughts, forgot the very first step. Go to the plater and have the original anodize stripped before you do anything.

Don't know if there is a difference between bright and clear anodizing, but I had mine clear anodized, would be a good question to ask the plater though.
                  Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Most plating shops do not do clear anodizing. My plater, which does all of the color anodizings on aluminum says that clear anodizing has problems with EPA and won't do it.

Comment

It probably goes state by state. I see you're in NY, maybe that's why, no problem here in OH. It's amazing when you see all the restrictions on products in CA, I'd have to have a black market connection if I lived there.
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                        It probably goes state by state. I see you're in NY, maybe that's why, no problem here in OH. It's amazing when you see all the restrictions on products in CA, I'd have to have a black market connection if I lived there.
                        You're most likely correct.

Comment

BigLakeBob, Were you happy with the last set done? Do you have any pictures? A friend of mine restores 63 Corvette aluminum center consoles. With his high degree of polishing, his clear anodizing is almost chrome like. Do you think the pan cover were like that back then? Does anyone have original pictures showing the original oem finish?

Comment

I have trouble putting pictures on here, can email direct if you like. Yes, I was happy. I did not go for a mirror finish, buffed to a good (great) finish but not mirror, still some minor scratches. I was wanting to reproduce the original look not overkill. Looking at original covers I do not feel HD polished them, but I do believe they were very smooth and not scratched coming out of the die they were stamped with. A production part then thrown in the tub or racked for plating. My opinion.
                            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Sadly there is no way to replicate the original finish. The pans were not polished, but were clear anodized over new brigth sheet that was formed and cleaned. So streaks and forming marks are captive in the originals, and once polished all those features are gone. Just the way it is.
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X