Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Hubs. OK to powder coat?

Hi, Guys

Renewed my membership after a long hiatus. Originally joined in 2009, and over the next 18 months received endless tips, pointers and patience from a number of the more experienced members, in particular Chris Haynes, Cotten, Rubone, panz4ever, Rooster, and probably several more whose handles I can't remember at the moment. Special thanks to all of you, and yes, I remember that I owe you photos of the finished project (65 FLH)!

I'm currently working on a new project (65 FL w/ sidecar). The frame is out for powder coating, and I got a rattle can of the original HD frame paint for color match. I'm in the process of taking the hubs apart, and had planned to paint instead of powder coating them, just in case the powder coat would interfere with setting end play, and/or getting spokes to fit.

Anybody had experience with powder coating the old hubs? I walnut shell blasted and painted them during my last project.
    Ride it like you can fix it!

Powder works fine on hubs. They get masked the same as paint.

Comment

Thanks. Do you plug all of the spoke openings when coating, or just mask the star, and plug the axle sleeve area and zerk fitting opening? Been a good 7 years or more since I painted one, but as I recall, I didn't block the spoke holes.

Comment

When I had the Hub's on my '48 bobber powder coated, they didn't mask at all. Felt like it took me a year of cleaning to get them back in shape. The spoke holes were no issue though, they went together fine.

Craig

Comment

Powder is just paint in a different form. It can be applied light or heavy. I plug both ends and mask the part that goes through the drum. I lightly coat the inside of the drum flange, then a medium coat on the rest. And, just like paint, a simple rotating fixture makes the job much easier. A tap removes powder from the star threads and the zerk thread if necessary. Nothing more is needed.

Comment

Appreciate the info, guys!

Comment

Working...
            X