Rocker Arm Cover Pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocker Arm Cover Pad

I am assembling a 1953 FL. There are two 'Rocker Arm Cover Pad', p/n 17507-48; rectangular felt pads with two slot.

What is their purpose and how do I attach them to the heads?

Thanks

I think they just glue to the inside of the rocker covers, noise dampening?

Attached Files

Comment

The felt might dampen some noise. Felt is also used in lathes, mills and other machinery to wick/drip a constant oil supply to certain parts.
      I have no idea how much oil is actually held in the Pan rocker area (that would be an interesting experiment ) but I don't think it would be much as the oil return hole is a good size and the oil is quite runny by the time it has done it's job up there.
      The felt would soak up oil that is splashed around by the valve spring caps and drip it onto the front and rear intake oiler tubes.
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Forgot to add this to my post...are the oiler tubes readily available?
        If the answer is Yes to aftermarket, do they fit and work correctly.
        I have a few sets of Pan heads in line for rejuvination.
        Steve Little
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

I experimented a while back with different glues. Glued per directions using felt and test aluminum pieces, then soaked in oil. I tried yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive, Weldwood contact cement, Devcon all purpose adhesive, and Gorilla glue. The Gorilla glue worked best so I went with that. I also made a block with steps to match the cover so I would have even pressure across the whole felt, put a heavy piece of metal on top while glued tried. I have not put them in action yet, but glue has held well for a month now. Every cover I have taken off you can see the stud and nut impression in the felt so I don't think they move much.

Steve, I bought some of the aftermarket oilers. I have not used them, but like most aftermarket they look pretty cheesy compared to original. I'll check later to see how they fit on the studs and let you know.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Is there any documentation explaining the purpose of the pads?

Comment

Is there any documentation explaining the purpose of the pads?
              They hold oil and prevent valve covers from resonating.

Comment

Gorilla Glue it is, thanks for the explanations and tip.

Can I install the rear rocker cover in the frame or does it need to be installed on the bench?

Comment

Any tips on the oiler tubes? I have what appear to be original equipment that direct oil over the rocker-arm valve stem interface.

Comment

Can I install the rear rocker cover in the frame or does it need to be installed on the bench?
                    On the bench, it cannot be done in the frame.

Any tips on the oiler tubes? I have what appear to be original equipment that direct oil over the rocker-arm valve stem interface.
                    Just make sure they are clean. Intake only.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                      Just make sure they are clean. Intake only.
                      Why intake only, Robbie?
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

The intakes were what starved for oil, the exhausts often were over oiled. It is a design and gravity thing..
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks, Robbie. I always appreciate your knowledge, and that you share it.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by ssantelman View Post
                            The ball in the end of the tube regulates the oil flow. It should move freely. The tubes and ball can get clogged with oil, rust, and previous owner mischief, i.e. crimping the tube end and seizing the ball....I've had to correct this before.
                            I use jet drills and high tensile wire from hobby shops to gently work out impurities and get them squeaky clean.
                            A good code of practice is to bench test them before fitting to the heads.
                            Steve Little
                            Australia.
                            AMCA member 1950

Comment

The steel balls are free in the tubes above the crimps. Both are lined up over the end of intake valve stem.

Would it be considered sacrilege to use Permatex on the paper gasket between the Head and the Rocker cover? Not sure if the D Ring will pull it flat. The D Rings I have are steel, 0.220" (5.6 mm) thick. These may be for a later year engine but may keep the bleeding to a minimum.

Comment

Working...
                              X