Linkert M35, M35T, M35TP ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert M35, M35T, M35TP ???

Can anyone tell me which version of the M35 would be correct for a VERY low VIN 1948 Panhead.
    The engine is around the 100th built.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Found this at Mike’s website www.linkertcarbs.com
    http://www.linkertcarbs.com/linkert.html
    M35: 1941-1947 Harley E,EL, 1941-1947 F,FL
    M35F: 1942-1948 Harley Police
    M35T: L1945-E1947 Harley E,EL,F,FL ( I believe this carb actually came out on what would be early 1946 models.)
    M35TP: L1947-1948 Harley E,EL,F,FL
    M35P: 1947 Harley Police
    M35S: Late 1941 Harley WLDR, 1941 WRTT
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Mark!

Virtually every M-35TP that has crossed my benches was associated with a '48 (VINs un-recorded).
      Relatively un-molested Knucks with very high VINS still had the M-35.

The evolution from M35 to M-35T to M35TP included changes in castings (2-378, 2-388, 2-398, respectively). The size and location of the air correction hole, as well as the bowl vent changed dramatically for the M35TP (just like most of the rest of the motor for '48!)
      The stamps for these models were hit with a single punch.

I would love to see documentation for the other models, since I have no 'fossil record' for any.
      It would be interesting to see their respective castings, and if their stamps were separate for the F and P (and S).

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-06-2017, 09:01 AM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I run a M35TP on my high-VIN '48 FL. I did a lot of research (limited info ), searched the oh so truthful internet....trying to make sure my carb was correct for my scoot. I'm sure the changes were factory recorded (on paper)......sure wish it was available today! William
        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Looks like M35TP it is.
          Thanks for all the responses.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

My about 7500 serial fairly original 48 has a M-35T. If the carburetor was ever changed it was done before 1962 because that was when it was parked. Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
              My about 7500 serial fairly original 48 has a M-35T. If the carburetor was ever changed it was done before 1962 because that was when it was parked. Jerry
              Thanks Jerry!

I can imagine that some of the Ts were arbitrarily discarded for TPs because of the troublesome manifolds.

Note the ones on the left in my attachment, presumeably 48s, were not machined on the spigots, like the presumeably 49s on the right.
              Note also the dimples behind the flanges where a staking device secured the pieces for silver-soldering. I have found where these cracked and leaked.

Both designs were terribly malleable, allowing both spigots and flanges to distort badly.

....Cotten
              PS: Late '46-'47 manifolds were no prize either, so swaps were probably common, leading to a great deal of confusion today.

PPS: Maybe this "T" of mine worth something now.

PPPS: Upon a search, I see where I posted that I had a pic of an M35S.
              Now I need to find my 2012 computer.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-07-2017, 12:53 PM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

The plot thickens.
                Fortunately I have a few of all three versions. Just trying to figure out for sure which is correct.
                Mark
                Mark Masa
                www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                X