1955 FLH Oil Tank Decals and Front Fender Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 FLH Oil Tank Decals and Front Fender Badge

I need some help on my 1955 Panhead FLH. Did the 1955 FLH use the FLH decals on the oil tank? The decal has a -56 part number. If the decal was used, was it on both sides of the oil tank, or just the right side? Also, was the front fender badge chrome plated or polished brass? Thanks for any help members can provide.

No FLH Decals. Badge was chrome plated. Don't you have Palmer's book?
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks Chris for you input. I do have Palmer's book (1st addition). From the pictures of the V medallions on page 608 it is hard to tell if they are chrome plated. In the section “Chrome-Plated Parts” the medallions are not listed.
      On page 606 under section “1955 Model Details-First Year Features” it list FLH oil tank decal. On page 612 under section “1956 Model Details – First Year Features” it also list the the FLH oil tank decal (used on both sides). So the 1956 section is correct?

Comment

You need the new two volume set. http://howtorestoreyourharleydavidson.com/
        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Absolutely, Chris, but...

Anybody into carburetors needs the first addition, as much of the best info is deleted from the second. I think. I'm afraid to get mine dirty.

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Chris. I Just ordered the second edition and Cotten I will definitely keep my 1st edition. Was the 1940 Knucklehead intake manifold corrected in the 2nd edition (brass or casting no. 428-40)?
            Chris, you may remember my motorcycle. You judged the bike, Hollywood Green 1955 FLH, at the Concours d'Elegance motorcycle show in Delmar California in the mid 1990's.
            The bike is “retired” from showing, so I think I will keep the FLH decal on the oil tank. I like the way it looks.

Comment

Originally posted by jerrykeller View Post
              ... Was the 1940 Knucklehead intake manifold corrected in the 2nd edition (brass or casting no. 428-40)?...
              Jerry!

My fingers are in grunge right now, but I think it was mis-corrected to '41.

With all due respect to the experts, I bow to the overwhelming fossil record, and similar witness from impeccable sources, that the brass manifold productions were post-War ordinance scrap, late '46 plus for flattys (including WRs), and predominately '47 for OHVs.

No matter what year, they are prone to porosities in evil places.

....Cotten
              PS: I wrap my keyboard in polyethylene stretch wrap.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-06-2017, 03:51 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Sounds like I caught you at a bad time. I guess nothing can be done about the porosity in the casting, but I hear the “Peek” seals work pretty well if the manifold is in good shape.

Comment

Sounds like I caught you at a bad time. I guess nothing can be done about the porosity in the casting, but I hear the “Peek” seals work pretty well if the manifold is in good shape.
                  Well Jerry,...

I certainly can stand behind my PEEK seals.
                  But I require the manifold in hand for certainty.

Most often the manifold needs dressing. That, and floats, are the only services I can offer on a timely basis: Booked solid otherwise.
                  Porosities in brass, or any ferrous manifold, usually need to be punished with silver solder. (Aluminum suffers to subcontractors.)

As far as catching me at a 'bad time', the poly wrap lasts a month or more!

....Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-06-2017, 05:01 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Chris,
                    I just received Palmer's new book and it still says 1955 first year for the FLH decal and 1956 first year FLH decals on both sides of the oil tank. Is this still an error?

Comment

Chris,
                      I just received Palmer's new book and it still says 1955 first year for the FLH decal and 1956 first year FLH decals on both sides of the oil tank. Is this still an error?
                      To be sure I will have to wait until I get home to look in my new model introduction Enthusiast. The only 1955 factory photos I have are a FL so that is no help.
                      Be sure to visit;

Comment

Looking in period literature what I find so far is no decals on any '55 models but pictures on both sides of the oil tank in '56. This is comparing the '55 and '56 new model edition "Enthusiasts", both year accessory catalogs, sales brochures from both years, and a couple different issues of "American Motorcycling" showing the new '56 models in factory ads, Sept '55 and Jan'56. Also looking through the '56 and '57 Parts Books there is no listing for the transfer in the tanks section, only the patent transfer. I have a '55 KHK and know it never had a decal and the '56 models did. I can also look in other magazines for photos. I have "Cycle", and "Motorcyclist" I can look in as well. So far no proof of any decal in '55...
                        Last edited by Rubone; 08-10-2017, 06:12 PM.
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie and Chris. I appreciate all the time you guys have spent on this question.

Comment

The 1956-1960 FLH Oil Tank Decal (#61776-56), was first used in 1956 and appears on both sides of the oil tank. The book is wrong to have it listed under "First Year of Features" for 1955 Models (page 957). This is a mistake and will be deleted; however, it is listed correctly under 1956 Models "First Year of Features" on page 964. It is also correctly identified in the caption (page 796) for the photo on page 797 and correctly identified in the text on page 798.

The decal is first listed in the 1959 supplement parts book. 1955 models did not need the decal as they had the front fender medallion identifying whether it was an FL or FLH. The medallion is listed as chrome plated on page 961 under "Chrome Plated Parts".
                            Bruce Palmer III
                            AMCA #667

How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson

How to Restore Your Military Harley-Davidson

Comment

My 55 Factory Sales Brochure shows nothing on the right side and a patent decal on the left side.

Comment

Working...
                              X