Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question / Removing petrified 1958 harley davidson fL rear fender tip mount screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and I also neglected to mention the sure-fire way that old-school house painters used to use to keep paint from creeping! You know that one, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
      Yes, and I also neglected to mention the sure-fire way that old-school house painters used to use to keep paint from creeping! You know that one, right?
      Omar!

Please explain "creeping"?

....Cotten
      PS: And Folks, a torch in the wrong hands is always a disaster. That's why I explained how to avoid loosening the blocks.
      PPS: I tried to google paint creep and got videos of babes in bikinis. Had to shut it down to save data....!
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-16-2017, 01:03 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Rather than a torch of any kind, would a HEAT GUN heating (using low heat at first) on the outside with the Kroil applied working on the threads? Just a thought.
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Good grief People.

Not just "a torch of any kind".

Mine can produce an oxy-acetylene flame a sixteenth of an inch long, and even narrower.
          Trying to photograph it took much, much longer than loosening a screw.

It ain't like Mr. T on 'The A-Team' welding with a three-foot cutting torch!
          If you don't have the resources, find a professional that does.

....Cotten
          PS: Sorry Jim,
          I'm not taking in any new accounts http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...y+announcement, but I've told you what you need to know.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-16-2017, 12:45 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

If the paint "ran", so to speak...It would look like a wave on the wall shortly after it was applied. the result of the paint being too thick.....And you can guess how the painter solved this dilemma!

Comment

I pity the fool that doesn't have a Henrob/Dillon torch!

Kevin

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              Good grief People.

Not just "a torch of any kind".

Mine can produce an oxy-acetylene flame a sixteenth of an inch long, and even narrower.
              Trying to photograph it took much, much longer than loosening a screw.

It ain't like Mr. T on 'The A-Team' welding with a three-foot cutting torch!
              If you don't have the resources, find a professional that does.

....Cotten
              PS: Sorry Jim,
              I'm not taking in any new accounts http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...y+announcement, but I've told you what you need to know.
              Kevin
              https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Originally posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
                If the paint "ran", so to speak...It would look like a wave on the wall shortly after it was applied. the result of the paint being too thick.....And you can guess how the painter solved this dilemma!
                I cannot guess, Omar!

I'm so bad with paint, I apply it with a cheap paper towel.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by Shaky Jake View Post
                  I pity the fool that doesn't have a Henrob/Dillon torch! Kevin
                  A common torch will do the trick, too, Folks!

Here's a TorchWeld "Bantam" Model 44 by National Cylinder Gas Co. of Chicago.
                  I just haven't hooked it up for a quarter century. The Henrob uses a fraction of the ga$, and its a whole lot more ergonomic.

....Cotten
                  Attached Files
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Spuddley, if you do resort to the application of heat- cautiously and judiciously, of course- and don't care to invest in professional-grade equipment, a very fine and focused blue flame can be achieved with an inexpensive MAPP torch. These can be found for well under $100, and can be handy for other small tasks as well. It's not so much the equipment used, as it is the care and attention of the user. Plenty of sound advice already given.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                      Spuddley, if you do resort to the application of heat- cautiously and judiciously, of course- and don't care to invest in professional-grade equipment, a very fine and focused blue flame can be achieved with an inexpensive MAPP torch. These can be found for well under $100, and can be handy for other small tasks as well. It's not so much the equipment used, as it is the care and attention of the user. Plenty of sound advice already given.
                      A quick search on ebay, Folks...

Was pretty disappointing, except maybe for this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/098c-Bernzom...3D222511390966

The rest were over-kill,

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Success ! !

A few more weeks of daily application of various and sundry chemicals, witches brews, etc. and I was finally able to ease the screws out with a tight fitting driver blade.

Question >>> where can I source two replacement screws? Colony? I care only for function (SST would be nice).

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions!

20170708_135237.jpg

Comment

Perfectly functional SS screws are available at any good hardware store.
                          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

It was good to read you got the job done!
                            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Spuddley,
                              Might I detect a British accent in your language?
                              Bill Pedalino
                              Huntington, New York
                              AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
                                Spuddley,
                                Might I detect a British accent in your language?
                                No British origins with me, Bill. just very good English composition teachers when I was in school, I suppose. Eh?

Rubone >>> you wrote, "Perfectly functional SS screws are available at any good hardware store. ". You are correct, and there is a very good fasteners aisle at the Ace Hardware just up the road here in Homosassa. Probably the best that I have seen in over 20 years. The closest fastener that they had that might work is a button head hex drive 10-24 x 3/8" L to replace slotted panhead (pun intended) screw 10-24 x 1/4" L. they also had the #10 external lock washers in SST as well. They will probably work just fine and at a total cost of less that one dollar I will certainly give 'em a try.

If I am replacing any inner fender threaded fasteners (head on the inside) that doesn't necessarily require an OEM configuration, I have over the years developed a preference for SST hardware, in a button head configuration if available.

Now on to de-rusting the fender, carefully straightening out the fender tip itself, fender/license plate holder/tail lamp re-assembly, re-wire, re-attach to frame and then on to the next wiring replacement activity.

12292012.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X