Comp Sprocket Nut Difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp Sprocket Nut Difference

Does anyone know why some nuts have the grease zerk and some don't? And my follow up question would be the access hole in the '55-'64 primary covers, some have the hole and some don't. Bruce says the cover reason is no hole when a solid sprocket was used, maybe also when comp used with no zerk? Looking at pictures I see some bikes with and without the primary hole. I do not think it is a specific year thing, is it a due to a particular model, FL vrs FLH? I have come to learn that the solid sliding cams 55A# were BT and the 2 piece (rotating allowed with no 55A#) cams were Sportster. Does this have anything to do with why some nuts have the zerk and some don't? BT vrs Sportster? Thanks if anyone knows, I did a search first and didn't find anything.
    Bob Rice #6738

I think there was something about this subject not long ago in the forum....The motor company decided to tell their product users that they didn't need to grease the compensator sprocket beginning 1966, which is why they did away with the access plug in the cast primary. I would disagree, a little grease never hurt any part of a sliding assembly. I take the assembly of my '68 apart every season and slobber a little on the spline.

Comment

Working...
    X