Help identifying rear fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying rear fender

I am putting together a 1948 FL as a rider, but would like to get it as close as my pocket book allows. My question is what year is this fender? Palmer states beginning in 1948 rigid rear fenders have a spot welded screw plate for the three 1/4"-24 screws used to attach the Buddy Seat yoke bracket. Palmer also states 1948- later tail lamp wires run in an open tube the entire length. Does my fender have what is meant as a open tube? It has two threaded studs on its side where the saddle bags would normally mount. Any idea what these might be for? Palmer also states that the 1948 front section has two hinge pin loops, as my fender has.
    Thanks, Curly

IMG_0995 (Medium).JPGIMG_0998 (Medium).JPGIMG_0996 (Medium).JPGIMG_0995 (Medium).JPG
    Attached Files

Your fender is indeed a 1948 fender. The studs appear to be saddle bag mounts and were probably for quick-tach type saddle bags. I have seen some very high number 47's that still have the closed loom and some low numbered 48's that already had it so that fender is about as 48 as you can get. Jerry

Originally posted by kurly View Post
    I am putting together a 1948 FL as a rider, but would like to get it as close as my pocket book allows. My question is what year is this fender? Palmer states beginning in 1948 rigid rear fenders have a spot welded screw plate for the three 1/4"-24 screws used to attach the Buddy Seat yoke bracket. Palmer also states 1948- later tail lamp wires run in an open tube the entire length. Does my fender have what is meant as a open tube? It has two threaded studs on its side where the saddle bags would normally mount. Any idea what these might be for? Palmer also states that the 1948 front section has two hinge pin loops, as my fender has.
    Thanks, Curly

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19599[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19602[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19600[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19599[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
      Your fender is indeed a 1948 fender. The studs appear to be saddle bag mounts and were probably for quick-tach type saddle bags. I have seen some very high number 47's that still have the closed loom and some low numbered 48's that already had it so that fender is about as 48 as you can get. Jerry
      The open tube Bruce refers to is like a 12" long slinky type spring.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thank you Jerry and Chris!

Comment

Working...
        X