Mechanical brake drum 1954 rear assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical brake drum 1954 rear assembly

I'm in the process of finishing the replacement of worn brake linings on my 1954 FL, when I install the axel sleeve through the backing plate and install the spacer and nut, upon tightening the nut their is about a 1/16 of an inch of play between the axle sleeve and backing plate. Is this normal or should I shim this with a washer. This is my first post in sometime, any help greatly appreciated.

Something is wrong. You got this tight to the inside of the plate, then spacer and nut. The nut is sinched to the end of the threads? Was there any play when you took it apart? Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob, I will admit I do not remember if it was loose or not. All parts were bagged and tagged as it came apart. The axle sleeve will slip between the backing plate and washer next to the tightened nut. If this is to be a tight fit I could shim it with a washer, there does not appear to be any damage to the sleeve or backing plate.

Thank You,
      James Roy
      AMCA # 21124

Comment

Do you have the outer spacer that the chain adjuster pushes up against. There are two spacers. Bob
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Actually no inner spacer on a mechanical drum, it is integral with the backing plate. Just the outer spacer and sleeve nut. Make sure your sleeve is free in the spacer, slides all the way into the frame slot, seats fully in the backing plate.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I want to let all know that I opened Bruce Palmer III's book last night only to discover my mistake. Along with Robbie's post concerning the frame slot. I was looking at a parts breakdown that did not include the frame attachment. With the axle sleeve not bolted through the frame it would have slack. It is a definite case of assuming you know what your doing. Thanks to all who chimed in and put me back on the correct track.

James Roy AMCA # 21124

Comment

Working...
            X