60 Panhead Speedometer Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Panhead Speedometer Questions

My speedo doesn't work. I put a drill on the back end of the head unit and it will move the needle to about 40 mph. I assume this is good news! I'm new to working on this era bike so I have what I hope to be a few simple questions:

1. When I'm travelling down the road, the needle bounces a very small bit. Could this possibly be from the inner cable being only partially inserted on one end or the other? Note that the upper end of the inner cable is not cut square and I can see where it might not be sliding into the head unit far enough.... and just slightly catching on the back of the head unit. On the other hand, the bouncing needle could be from vibration.

2. I can push the upper end of the speedo cable as far into the outer sleeve as it will go and it will easily turn by hand. Should this turn freely? There's a small amount of friction but I'm thinking no more than the inner cable rubbing on the cable sleeve or the drive unit spinning freely.

3. Can I simply pull the inner cable out the top of the outer sleeve without screwing something up on the lower end? Measuring the inner cable would tell me if it's slightly shorter than it should be. I've seen different lengths cited on the forum. Does anyone know how long it should be for a 60FL....assuming I have a stock outer sleeve?

4. Is it required to (at a minimum) remove the rear header pipe in order to remove the end of the speedo cable/sleeve that goes into the transmission?

Assuming the free turning of the cable on the lower end is not a problem, my current best guess is that the inner cable broke off at the head unit (before I owned the bike.....and someone removed the short broken piece) and its rubbing or catching on the backside of the head unit to cause the bouncing needle; but, I'm open to any ideas or opinions.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide,

Brad

I went ahead and pulled the inner cable out of the cable housing. The inner cable is broken about 2/3rds of the way down. I need to get the lower end of the cable housing off to remove the remaining part of the inner cable...and check the drive unit at well. Does this require removing the rear header (for access) or is there a helpful hint to getting the large hex nut off?

Comment

You may have to take the pipe off. You may have to take the primary off too. What ever it takes to get in there. You can see if the drive unit is turning by rotating the rear wheel in gear. It's probably fine. You should consider having the speedo cleaned and lubricated to lessen the chance of breaking it. John Bordas can do this for you. His ad is in the magazine.

Comment

If you can get to the screw that holds the drive in the case and pull it out that maybe easier to get it to a place were you can work on it. Good luck

Comment

I managed to get the nut loose with a crows-foot from underneath. Once it was loose, I worked the nut off from the top with a pair of long screwdrivers. I felt like a dentist! I'm ready to contact John Bordas concerning a new cable. I'll discuss cleaning the head unit with him but it rotates pretty easy. I could be wrong but I find it hard to believe that little bit of drag could break the cable. On the other hand, SOMETHING between the break and the head unit had to twist it to the point of breaking. It's not a clean break - has a small spiral loop where it broke. I'm surprised it pulled out of the housing so easily.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Brad

Comment

Working...
          X