No announcement yet.

1948 Pan rocker arm push rod sockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve, a very gracious offer to Mr. Socket! Hope he heads down under for a little R&R (i.e. R&D!) and you post all his holiday photos! Btw: Great thread!
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Good on ya William.

In most developed countries, Governments have laws in place which requires manufacturers to hold a certain percentage of spare parts, to used in the repair or replacement of faulty parts in their models.....within a specified time period.

Some time back, I read on this forum that HD had an interesting policy of requiring their dealerships to shoulder some of the burden of the spare parts inventory....i.e. requiring them to purchase some of it. I have never been a HD dealer so I can't write with certainty about that information.
      Out of interest, has anyone on this thread had firsthand experience with this?

I agree with Bobs view, this would be a hard repair for most people, including a dealership, during that late 40's, early 50's time period.
      Couple that view with the fact that this early style of Pan rocker arm was only in production for a few years.
      If I had a dealership, I would encourage the spare parts manager to push a new arm instead of a repair.

With this in mind, there must be bags, and bags, of these little sockets sitting on shelves.
      Probably packed as 5 or 6 sockets, in those desirable little envelopes. You know the ones...rusty staple securing the flap.

Having said all that, I will grease these two rocker arms, wrap them in cling wrap, and move on.
      I've found a source of original rocker arms over here. AU$20 each for arms with journals like mine and $30 for better arms. I consider this price reasonable as there is still a lot of work after the journal honing is done.

Project has come to a halt. I am waiting on some tooling.
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Always fun seeing what you have going on, Steve! Dale

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
          Always fun seeing what you have going on, Steve! Dale
          Thanks mate. I think I blab on too much.
          Steve Little
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Steve, you can blab all you want. I always learn something from your work, and experiences, and you make me laugh.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

he he. Thanks buddy.
              Steve Little
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
              X