Looking for Frame Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Frame Guy

I'm looking for Don (last name and company name unknown), the gentleman that used to build Ted's frames. I understand that he left Vtwin several years ago, is now back in the frame business on his own, and is currently working on a large frame order for guy in Connecticut. I understand that he was at Hebron on that Friday, but I couldn't get there until Saturday so I missed him. I really need a frame for my 1953 FLE and I'm told that he;s the guy to speak with.

If anyone has Don's contact number, or that of another REPUTABLE frame man, I would really appreciate the information.

Thanks,

Bill Pedalino
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Factory frames have casting numbers on the castings.
    Vtwin still sells reproduction frames, they are missing the casting numbers.
    I don't know Don.

Comment

Bill if you are looking to have one built rather than one restored why not get one from Race Frame. It will have all the casting numbers and frame markings and for the price of buying and restoring an original you could have one that has fresh metal and isn't all rusted inside or pitted outside and everything will bolt right up. Go to their site and see what they have. Steve has turned it over to a guy named Walt to deal with. Steve is still involved but can't do the fab or assembly work due to his illness. You will have a frame that is correct in every respect and brand new. It is nice when you can have original but at what frames bring these days and not knowing whether they are straight or how the tubes look inside. The peace of mind is worth it. All the internet rumor are wrong and they are still in business and pricing is right there for you to see. hey brace them for shipment so the axle plates as well as other aren't bent in transport. Duty isn't really and issue either. For me to get one delivered to Baltimore was $9 duty. Do what you want but to me this is the way to go. I actually had Steve do me a 41 frame but specialized it with the thicker pan head tubing as it was for a side car. You can't tell from the outside and has all the marking that a 41 frame should have and was brazed as they were in 41. JMHO.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA#12766

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
        .....why not get one from Race Frame....
        Rollo, Is this Company and website, below, for Race Frame that you reference? Thanks William

http://www.raceframe.com.au/
        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Yes it is. They are the only ones I know of that make a frame that is correct with all the hallmarks and casting markings as they were stock from the factory. I found everything bolted right into place with no problems. For what he wants it looks like $4800 plus shipping and duty. From what I see out there guys want that much for a frame and it may need work to straighten or repair and that can be very expensive. Not that it might not be worth it but I paid $2800 for a frame and when my frame guy finished "fixing it" the bill was another $3500 so I have $6300 in a 41-46 frame. If I remember it was a few hundred dollars ($300-400) to ship the frame from Australia to Baltimore but they will give you an exact number when you contact them.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
          AMCA# 12766

Comment

Thanks Rollo, They have good looking frames plus it makes senses! Most used frames are high $ and usually cut, missing tabs and/or tweaked - certainly hard to see by eye (for me anyway). Plus who carries a frame jig around with them to check a frame before buying a used one! haha William
            William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
            http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

That was the conclusion I came to and why I went the way I did. To the purist that won't work but for me I ride mine and I want to know that one of the most important elements of the bike is solid and not going to give out while on a ride. I have many original frame bikes and one that I need to repair for a 42 knuckle but beyond that I will use Steve's frames for the rest of my builds. JMHO.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA#12766

Comment

Working...
              X