Early Glide Slider Drain Plug Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Glide Slider Drain Plug Dilemma

I just scored a nice set of Glide sliders. One drain plug is stuck, stuck, stuck. The other only turns in about 1.5 turns and no more. Any ideas about getting the stuck one out without taking aluminum/threads with it? I just bought my wife a new kitchen range and if I start heating motorcycle parts in it I am sure there will be trouble and drilling it out is a last resort option in my opinion, at least for now. The other plug turned out OK but will not thread in all the way. I am not sure if it is the correct plug or maybe someone put the wrong one (oversize or pipe thread?) in there. I cannot find anything in my reference material stating the actual size and thread of the plug, only the part number. Looks to be approx. 3/8"x28. The plug in the picture does appear to be slightly tapered which I am suspect of, can't compare it to the other one because, well you get the idea. Any thoughts would be most helpful. Thanks, John

001.jpg002.jpg

It's a 1/8 pipe plug. I've seen some that are too big. Try a different one. Heating the slider can't hurt, but do it outdoors because it will smoke like crazy. Drilling will probably make everything worse.

Comment

As stated, heat is the way to go. Concentrated heat, such as a common propane torch. Heat the area around the plug, try to avoid the plug. Aluminum heats up fast.
      Don't try to run the new plug in until it's flush; only the original plugs will go in that far. James includes a plug in their rebuild kit, but it seems just a tad oversized. Parkerized is the correct finish for the plug, as well.

Comment

Mc Master Carr sells ' flush fit ' 1/8 pipe plugs that seem to install correctly if your legs have not been re-taped

Comment

Thanks to all... Heat and a good twist did the job without incident. Threads are all good and you can see a too long replacement plug was indeed used on the one side.

001 (2).jpg

Comment

Working...
          X