Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyrdaulic t Filter Screen

Good morning all!

I'm putting the finishing touches on my 1953 FLE motor and the last thing is the filter screen for the hydraulic lifters. I have the correct OEM cartridge-type screen assembly (24982-52 screen and body) but must order the 8856 check ball and 24992-52 spring, as well as the two 24990-52 bottom seals. However, according to the 1949 through 1957 parts book, the ball and spring was only used initially for a short time, early in 1952. Apparently they must have been used to prevent drain-off of the tappet feed circuit when the motor was off and proved to be ineffective and/or unnecessary. Given this, I'm considering not using these two parts. However, if I omit them, will the thickness of the bottom seals alone be enough to hold the cartridge-type filter body in-place?

Also, can I substitute one of the later exposed screens (24975-63 or 24981-66) and associated surrounding springs (24979-63 or 24982-66) in lieu of the earlier cartridge assembly? I don't have another right side panhead hydraulic motor case, so I can't compare the machined depth of the filter well, but if it's the same depth, I would think that the -63 parts should work (using the two base seals), as the cap bolt was the same up until, and including 1965 and was changed for the shovel motor. When I used to do this for a living I barely remember seeing the closed cartridge bodies and commonly used the exposed screens, so I seem to remember that they are interchangeable - but my memory is what it is....

Thanks
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill!

The checkvalve screen housing was for the futile early hydraulics;
    Did you find -53 hydraulics down in the tappet blocks? If so, then just a cork below a later "top hat" screen, held by a spring from above, shall be best.

....Cotten

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten,
      Its a real '53 with the lower hydraulics. I seem to remember using the exposed screen/spring all the time. Thanks for confirming.
      By the way, I built a '48 EL motor three years ago for a close friend. This is the 3rd year using the hydraulic pushrods with no problems. Running 60 weight oil, they are even quiet at startup! Nobody is more surprised that I !
      Bill
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
      X