'59 Pan - speedo identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 Pan - speedo identification

Not too sure how this works - new member and first post...
    Can anyone give me a year ID on the speedo that came with my '59 Pan back in 1980? See photo. I had the speedo rebuilt way back then and unfortunately they painted the underside of the body where the code would be. They may also have replaced the needle.
    I've not seen another Stewart-Warner 509-type with the same face and number colour combos like it to date - and now I know what the correct combo is for '59, it really has me intrigued!
    Attached Files

'59 is gold and green.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      '59 is gold and green.

Thanks Rubone, a very useful photo - much appreciated. Thing is I already knew what it's meant to be for '59. I was trying to ID the year of the speedo I have. Interestingly, I do not see one like it in your photo either. Any ideas?

Comment

That is because yours is a fantasy item. The needle is wrong for any speedo of that type (painted face,recessed center) and the white face is an older repop item from Antique Cycle Supply which came in a variety of colors never used by H-D.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie, I knew the needle was wrong (was replaced in 1980). Interesting about the face - so antique cycle supply were around making these pre-'80?

Comment

Originally posted by Slate View Post
            Not too sure how this works - new member and first post...
            Pretty much like every other forum I know of. You first introduce yourself.
            AMCA #765

Comment

Thanks Len, great tip.

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                Pretty much like every other forum I know of. You first introduce yourself.
                He certainly did, Len!

Click on his name, and then "About Me".

I never submitted a dossier, either.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotton, I was only after some tech info and had thought I'd ticked all the boxes regarding etiquette to participate in AMCA's forum - it's already starting to read like similar forums I've seen elsewhere in the past.
                  Regards,
                  Junior member ��
                  Australia

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                    He certainly did, Len!

Click on his name, and then "About Me".

I never submitted a dossier, either.

....Cotten
                    I stand corrected. Sincere apologies Slate.
                    AMCA #765

Comment

Slate I think your speedo was originally a 1948 to 52. The difference is in the window openings for the odometer and the trip. If you can blow up the image of the correct 1959 Speedo and look at the windows you will see the difference. It is how the metal is 'beveled'.

Jerry

Comment

No worries, Len, accepted.

So, wrong needle, wrong coloured odometer and trip numbers, and the face is apparently a repo... Can any of you recommend how I might go about rebuilding the speedo to factory specs? Is there a firm out there that does it?

Comment

Excellent tip, Jerry, I've just had a look and can see what you're referring to. That may also explain why the odometer numbers are black on a white background and trip tenth is red. A bitser.
                          As it is not correct in almost every way for the year, any idea where I'd find a good replacement and what the cost might be?

Comment

Send it to John Bordas and he can make it all correct in a reasonable time and at a reasonable price. His contact info is in his ad in the club mag.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                            AMCA#12766

Comment

Thanks Tom, I'll look him up. I thought there must be someone out there who rebuilt them, as there seems to be a few very nice-looking speedos on some Pans these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X