Running S & S Super E on 65 Panhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running S & S Super E on 65 Panhead

I would like to run the stock bars and controls any help would be great.

Thanks

Originally posted by harleycats View Post
    I would like to run the stock bars and controls any help would be great.

Thanks
    I am running a 59FL that is all stock except for the S&S Super E and the motor internals (86" S&S stroker kit). I punched out the motor to pull a stock sidecar, and get some semblance of gas mileage and performance. I was running the stock linkert before this. All I had to do for the Super E was to replace the spindle on the throttle side with one from the spark control side (it pulls the cable rather that pushes it). I know the 65 does not have a spark control so you will need to find one. I also had to replace the internal cable with a stranded cable that has the correct end to hook up to the carb. For this to work I had to make the outer cable longer by splicing about a 4" piece of another outer cable onto the existing stock outer cable at the carb end. I also had to make a support bracket to hold the carb from falling (goes from the intake to carb screw to the Pan D-ring. This setup has been in place for over 20 years and has worked without issue. The bikes runs great with this carb and gets over 40 miles per gallon, without the hack - 27ish mpg with. Call if you want to discuss. Jim - 319-533-7650. Text first so I know who you are as I probably will not answer the call without knowing. I added a pic but not sure if it will display. 59 with ss super E.jpg

Comment

The throttle sleeve that pulls open is # 56220-58.
      VPH-D

Comment

All I had to do for the Super E was to replace the spindle on the throttle side with one from the spark control side (it pulls the cable rather that pushes it).
        The pull spiral is as VPH-D says. Replacing the throttle side with the spark control side will still be a push throttle. They work opposite directions as originally applied stock because they rotate opposite to the internal spiral. The pull spiral was an original part for Lightweights.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Jim!

Once upon a time, I went the S&S stroker and carb route for a hack on a '65.

My stock '65 performs much better, honest.
          Heavier wheels and a tighter venturi rule when it comes to serviceable torque.

....Cotten
          (PS: If anybody wants a blueprinted set of S&S flywheels for a '65 to '69, I can bring them to D-Port!)
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks for the info I will try it out in process of putting my 65 back on the road

Comment

Thanks for the update on the pull spindle. Like I said, it has been over 20 years since I made these modifications so I was not 100% certain it was the spark control spindle that I used. My 59 runs absolutely great with the Super E, but kick starting can be unpredictable. The electric start of your 65 should make starting a breeze! Good luck with your mods.

Comment

Working...
              X