Jiffy Stand Lean Angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jiffy Stand Lean Angle

Hi folks, my stock '65 has an extreme lean angle when on side stand. Had modern Dunlops on it since I have owned it and it was tolerable but just switched to Coker Classics and now it is way too much. I understand about the taller tires and all but my question is how this can be fixed. I have seen wedges sold for lowered bikes but not for bikes that lean too much. Was thinking of bending the leg but thought it might soften the metal. I saw something somewhere about the mounting plates for swing arms and rigids being different (two holes in the front on swing arm plates?). Mine has no holes. I may possibly have the wrong one? Any thoughts? Thanks

If you look close at this photo you can see a spacer behind the upper bolts on the jiffy stand.
    Someone else did this, they where there when I got this bike, the spacers are just 3/8 nuts and longer upper bolts.
    I got used to it that way and left them in there.

Last edited by 55tmm; 05-03-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Felt View Post
      Hi folks, my stock '65 has an extreme lean angle when on side stand. Had modern Dunlops on it since I have owned it and it was tolerable but just switched to Coker Classics and now it is way too much. I understand about the taller tires and all but my question is how this can be fixed. I have seen wedges sold for lowered bikes but not for bikes that lean too much. Was thinking of bending the leg but thought it might soften the metal. I saw something somewhere about the mounting plates for swing arms and rigids being different (two holes in the front on swing arm plates?). Mine has no holes. I may possibly have the wrong one? Any thoughts? Thanks
      The bracket the stand leg fits into may be for a rigid frame.

Comment

Originally posted by 55tmm View Post
        If you look close at this photo you can see a spacer behind the upper bolts on the jiffy stand.
        Someone else did this, they where there when I got this bike, the spacers are just 3/8 nuts and longer upper bolts.
        I got used to it that way and left them in there.

55tmm, was thinking of doing that but then the plate won't sit flat against the mount and might not be strong enough over time with kick starting all the time. A wedge would make it sit flat. You have not had any issues with yours with the nut spacers?

Also, Kozy or others, is there a significant difference between the rigid and swing arm plates? Thanks.

Comment

K.Felt,
          No issues yet, but I agree a solid spacer would be a better choice.
          Todd

Comment

Decided to try the nut spacer idea. Has the perfect lean angle now, but would still like to have the plate sit flat. Will use it like that temporarily. Also by bringing the top of the leg (where it is attached to the plate with the big nut) outward, when I swing the kick stand down the nut just catches the bottom of the chrome shifter cover so beware. I was able to tweak the cover a little so it clears.

Comment

There is a difference in a rigid and swing arm frame bracket. The difference lies in the length of the plates riveted between the brackets outside formed plate. This allows the swing arm bike not to have an extreme lean angle, due to it's higher from the ground profile than a rigid. Palmer's book describes this feature in the jiffy stand section. Don't know the page number.

Comment

Even if you fabricate and use a 'wedge', the bolt heads will not make full contact with the face of the bracket. Might be something to keep in mind....

Comment

Yes Rooster, was aware of that, thanks. Will be looking for a good swing arm leg bracket although it is going to be tough to tell the difference at a swap meet without having a rigid one for comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Felt View Post
                    Yes Rooster, was aware of that, thanks. Will be looking for a good swing arm leg bracket although it is going to be tough to tell the difference at a swap meet without having a rigid one for comparison.
                    I may have an extra one in my stash. I'll have a dig through this week and let you know.

Comment

Thanks for replies. Will check the book and try to educate myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X