Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems

Gentleman,

My '59 Panhead Duo- Glide only starts when I take the aircleaner off.
    When the motor is warm she starts normal.

Any idea, what could be the reason.

Thanks,
    Joe

Golly Joe,

The first obvious question would be: Do you have a copper mesh air filter as OEM, or perhaps a restrictive modern paper production?

Of course, there may be other variables... too many to list easily.

...Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-11-2016, 08:39 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have a copper mesh air filter as OEM.

Joe

Comment

A cold bike that has low battery voltage is very fussy about the fuel richness to start up. A little too rich or a little lean and it won't start because of weak spark caused by the low battery voltage. See if you battery is putting out 6.5 volts.

Comment

The battery is six months old and in good condition, but I'll check the output.

Joe

Comment

The battery output is 6.3 volts.

Joe

Comment

Come on Gentlemen,

I hope this thread hasn't the same hard starting problems as my Panhead.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Comment

Joe, I have had my '64 FL for about 10 years. It is totally stock except for a modern paper air filter element. Yes dual points as well. I can not help but wonder if you have just not figured the starting drill out yet. When cold mine takes two prime kicks with the choke full on.Turn the ignition on, then choke comes completely off, I retard the ignition just a smidge and kick it through while twisting the throttle and more often than not it lights off. This works for me. These things seem to all have a slightly different procedure. If you are removing the air filter to start it, that tells me it ain't getting enough air. Are you sure you are not flooding it?

Comment

Joe, I forgot to mention on the prime kicks throttle needs to be wide open with the choke full on. You have to get that fuel charge into the cylinders.

Comment

Hi Lyle,

Thanks for your reply.
                    Maybe I'm flooding it.
                    Mostly I give it five prime kicks with choke full on.
                    Turn ignition on and set choke half, retard the ignition full, and the throttle 1/4 open.
                    Most of the time she won't start.

Joe

Comment

Joe!

Five full choke kicks is a lot.
                      In warm weather, it shouldn't take but one, if that.
                      And then open the choke fully before the 'hot kick'.

But still, it always starts easy with the aircleaner off?
                      The choke rod is "Z"-shaped at the ends; Please inspect to see that it doesn't have such a long section after the carb shaft that the aircleaner backing plate prevents it from fully closing.
                      (After all, a great many were made from coat hangars!)

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Joe,
                        I think you are flooding it. Tom is right, five kicks with the choke full on is way to many. That is why you are removing the air cleaner to get it to start. If I flood mine I kick it with the throttle wide open and it will start after about six kicks. Throttle wide open gives it lots of air, removing the air cleaner gives it more air as well. Your issue is your starting drill.

Comment

The Vtwin choke rods should be replaced with a coathanger

Comment

Lyle, Tom,

This weekend I'll try on my starting drill.

Joe

Comment

Joe!

Everybody's bike and foot is different,
                              But assuming timing and all other adjustments are in order, my universal 'drill' for a cold motor in temperate weather is:

Key off, petcock open, spark retarded usually half-way, choke closed, one good kick, choke opened, pedal felt for compression, throttle just "cracked", key on, and boot.
                              Advance spark as soon as she 'lights up'.

In perfect tune, it will idle with a 'lope' until advancing the spark will pick it up to where it smooths out to a lively idle;
                              A warm motor should just need the retard, the key on, and a boot, then the advance of course....

Let us know how it goes,

....Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-15-2016, 12:49 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                              X