1955 police pan antenna and radio parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 police pan antenna and radio parts

Any info on parts , also looking for an antenna and correct Avia or Vetric radio set for my pan ,antenna went walk about from the time i brought the bike and shipper picking it up ? cheers Rob1955 police bike 7.jpg1955 police bike 10.jpg1955 police bike 9.jpg1955 police bike 11.jpg

1955 police bike 3.jpg1955 police bike 8.jpg1955 police bike 12.jpg1955 police bike 14.jpg1955 police bike 13.jpg

i trying to fine out about this model , i do have a book by Robert n Robin Genat . Parts like L/H side on bars that switch ? the twin coil pack , the spread sheet has no cover mainly for replacement of the sheet ? rear boxes ? i have seen lots of photos of police bikes on caig forum in vintage photos ,so many different panniers used from leather , steel , plastic ? even the tool box wing nut lock which i have been told is correct , cleaning the oil and fuel out at present , got a new battery , put carby apart and cleaned it , new float , slowly slowly just going through it , Rob

Comment

1955 police bike 1.jpg1955 police bike 2.jpg

Also the chaingaurd where it sits above the gearbox , rear crashbars , lots of little things .Who is upto speed with the police bikes on here , Rob

Comment

Lots of odd bits on that bike. The siren is a '58 up type, not correct for that bike, and has a homemade mount (that style never went on rigid frames). The radio boxes on it are just re-purposed ammo boxes, not correct. The twin coils are a bodge as are the battery hold downs . It should have a '54 type jubilee horn (most police types were cad plated) and not the one hanging on the front crashbar. The pursuit lights are sealed beam from the '60s and again, not the correct type. Regulator was adapted from something else, the coil belongs behind it. It looks like a stripped police bike was found and then a bunch of mismatched junk was added to try and make it appear original.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Factory 1955 Police brochure pics

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

thanks for your knowledge its good to know whats wrong with it , cheers Rob

Comment

Robbie has given you a good start with what is not correct. I would try this guy, Doug at the AmericanPoliceMotorcycleMuseum.com in Meredith NH. 603-279-6387. USA. I can't recall if he has a 55 or not but he has a really cool museum with all years and different police depts. on display. he is a super guy and should be able to point you in the direction of resources. He has films of factory training classes on both riding and maintenance of police bikes most specifically LA. he is near Laconia NH if you are ever stateside and want to visit. It is well worth the time!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
              AMCA# 12766

Comment

The siren & mount you are looking for is on ebay right now, ends Sunday. I have the radio carrier rack shown in the 55 picture (correct for 49-57) The voltage regulator is a 74511-51a (delco remy# 1118 707 b,c or d) I have a 1118 707e I think it is the right one, just newer.
                I can't tell if your bike has the regulator mounting studs (Palmers 2nd ed page 534) if not I have a pair of those too. If you are interested in some parts let me know.
                www. wb6nvh.com is a great site for police radio info, lots of pictures of boxes and antennas.

Comment

thanks Rollo ,i just sent an email to the Police Muesum waiting to hear back from them . 1971super thanks for your offer and info i will send you a pm , cheers fellas Rob.

Comment

1971super i see it was you that asked about the roller info on caig , did the roller have a glass cover ? i have looked at the one on my bars and fine it hard to believe they had a glass cover or any , you would need to pull it apart to install a new sheet ?it has a steel slide on band length ways to attach a new sheet ,do you have any photos with the cover on the roll , i would be waryed if it got wet and think i may take the sheet off , not sure if its a copy or not but do not want to damage it . i cannt work out putting photos on that site ,so here i chose, Rob

Comment

does anyone have a photo of the coil mount behind the reg .

Comment

IMG_0147.JPGIMG_0148.JPGIMG_0149.JPGIMG_0150.JPGIMG_0151.JPG

First two pictures are the 1949 to 1957 police radio carrier. The carrier on your bike is 1941 to 1952 one way radio carrier. Third picture are the police voltage regulator studs.
                        Fourth & Fifth picture is the voltage regulator for police model.

Comment

IMG_0156.JPG

Here is a close up of the hot sheet roller with glass cover.
                          What is under the paper printout on your roller?

Comment

IMG_0154.JPGIMG_0155.JPG

Photos of big twin police coil (note, no bonding strap between bottom lugs, coil with strap is for 45" motor).

Comment

so the coil goes where it normally would the studs go top n bottom of coil to mount the reg out further to clear the coil ? the reg i have is an Autolite
                              VRW-6001B 3M 16amp 6V . i see what you mean about the coil. i took the sheet of and there is a roll there , it has a wire that goes inside of it , its very dirty inside the roller cannt see whats in there , i would be interested in any of those parts if you want to sell them ,Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X