Real info on correct oil/filter to use on a 50 FL and 66 FLH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real info on correct oil/filter to use on a 50 FL and 66 FLH

Hey guys, looking to pick the brains of some guys that are NOT looking to sell me a product at a antique bike show. I have been using SAE 60 NON-synthetic oil for 7 years on my 1950 FL and 1966 FLH with no issue. But just recently I was told to get into the 21st century technology by using AMSOIL SAE 60 FULL synthetic oil in both bikes. That this oil was designed for stock panheads and my shovel. What do u guys say about it.
    2nd ? is my 66 oil filter has original basket and red filter element that I can still get here in Chicago. But they offer a new style paper filter that replaces that whole assembly. Is this better or should I stay with the old school ways.
    Thanks Dave

I've been using H-D 60 wt oil since the 70s and see no need to change now. However, I have adapted several bikes to use a spin on oil filter. Is this paper filter supposed to be some kind of improvement?
    VPH-D

Comment

Oil quality today is probably a lot better than it was when these bikes were made, synthetic is overkill. Just my opinion.
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I trust what Harley-Davidson specifies for their motorcycles, and I agree with VPH-D about the 60wt. H-D oil. Every mechanic will tell you that clean oil is what makes an engine last; hence regular oil changes, and a filter.

_
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I like the paper drop in filters, prefer the original made by Perform. The fiber filters tend to shed a bit and plug the tappet screen.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Ive been using the Amsoil 60 synthetic non-detergent for 6 years on my knuckle, I am very happy with it. I extend the oil change time intervale a bit. I do put lots of miles on the bike in a year. I find my oil stays pretty clean and I use very little. Seems to work well for me. Oh, I also attached a magnet to my dipstick, I clean that off if anything is collected there evry time I check the oil.
            Bob Beatty
            AMCA 19209

Comment

Working...
            X