48 Springer Shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Springer Shock

I broke the mounts on the shock on my springer front end, can I run the bike without the shock or will this cause damage or handling problems?

Thanks
    Pothole

You can run without it (you may experience a slight amount of bounce in the forks, or not depending on what the condition of your shock was), or you can install a friction ride control, or you can replace the shock. Keep in mind that the shock was an accessory to the fork and not a necessary part of its function.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

In my young, innocent, immortal and devil-may-care chopper days, we never ran the front shock ("what the hell is a front shock?!?"). And we were too dumb to know the difference! But we did quite nicely without them and not too many of us fell down - at least due to missing front shock reasons. We all know better now, but those of you who lived through that era will probably reminisce that memory as well!
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

I never recall having front end problems on my '41EL without a shock; except on a washboard dirt road. I used to take a dirt road short-cut to work (when I was running late). Washboard roads create a bouncy harmonic that is uncontrollable on a springer. My buddy had a '68FL and had no problem with that road.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by pothole View Post
          I broke the mounts on the shock on my springer front end, can I run the bike without the shock or will this cause damage or handling problems?

Thanks
          Pothole
          Did yuo break the shock itself? And was it a repop?
          I've seen worn out original shocks but never a broken one.
          And I have seen broken repops that had bent mounting brackets.
          I thnk the repops made today are too stiff and the cheap metal and or constructions gives way under a load.
          Just curious. 46EL

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. It was a repo shock and it stuck in the compressed mode on a very rough road at too much speed and ripped both cheep metal top mounting brackets from the shock body.

Comment

Working...
            X