Front fork tins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front fork tins

I have been trying to obtain a set of front fork tins for my 57 Panhead project. I even tried to fit a set of V-Twin repops and they are about 1/8 inch too short. Is there anyone that has decent repops or even better a set of OEM that are showable?
    Thanks for all the info you all have been giving this beginner.
    Jim
    Last edited by JimRaynovic; 07-21-2015, 05:21 PM. Reason: I made an omission

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panhead-Hydr...item2c9e5d70a8

Comment

Thanks, I Hope I'm lucky.

Comment

Are you sure you have the earlier cups, races and bearings not the 60 and up? There my friend is your 1/8". Bob L
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I am absolutely positive I have the early model triple trees. Provided the information in Bruce Palmers book is correct on that issue.
          I can see where one could get confused when piecing together parts.

Comment

I also have the original metal, they are just too rough to use for a machine I hope to have judged. They fit perfect, just need to be repaired by a master metal smith.
            Thanks
            Jim

Comment

What ever. Bob L
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynovic View Post
                I am absolutely positive I have the early model triple trees. Provided the information in Bruce Palmers book is correct on that issue.
                I can see where one could get confused when piecing together parts.
                Do the bolt holes line up or is the cover just short? I've heard that some of the repops are a bit short , but the mounting holes line up. The 58 59 trees look similar to the hydra trees , but can be identified in a few spots, under the top tree at stem hole , and under the lower tree , it's oblonged at the stem cup. I have photos of newer V twin covers , next to OEM , and the dimensions are the same I'll post them.
                Adam

Right is aftermarket , the stamping is not crisp, and the "v" bends on front are very pronounced, where the originals are more contoured and less noticeable . If your doing a points bike , you need originals.

Aftermarket v twin v contour very pronounced, cut out for wire loom very large, poor definition on stripe stampings,
                I know yours are a 3 stripe vertical , but should be the same
                Last edited by Adam M; 07-21-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, The aftermarket parts match the bolt holes perfectly they are about 1/8 short at the bottom and about 1/16 at the top. I measured the original tins and they are at least 3/16 longer overall. The final answer is to find some OEM parts and hope they are not too expensive.

Comment

Here's some more info, a shot from the top, you can see the difference clearly

Aftermarket top, OEM bottom

Shot of original, nice fit up top

Photo below is Aftermarket.... Stamping is "soft" with very pronounced "v" , you can spot these a mile away.

Last edited by Adam M; 07-21-2015, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynovic View Post
                      Thanks for all the replies, The aftermarket parts match the bolt holes perfectly they are about 1/8 short at the bottom and about 1/16 at the top. I measured the original tins and they are at least 3/16 longer overall. The final answer is to find some OEM parts and hope they are not too expensive.
                      I belive that there are 2 versions of the aftermarket fork shrouds floating around. I think the short ones are used with newer type slider covers ( cow bells) made without the recess at the top. When properly fitted the covers should fit perfectly into that recess. What you discribe is the short cover sits over the recess, which would make it visible . I would check the v twin catalogue , because you may have that generic cover. The other versions really are not bad and if it enables you to finish up the front end till you repair yours or find an original, it's a good alternative . You could always sell it when your done with it and have the correct OEM Cover,
                      Adam

Comment

I got them and they will clean up nicely.
                        Thanks for the lead.

Comment

Working...
                        X